DG with constant, stubborn hesitation

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: DG with constant, stubborn hesitation

Post by itchyfeet »

Pic of plugs? and measure valve lift to check cam
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

bruce3927 wrote: The timing is at 5 degrees at 900rpm and when revs are increased the mark moves anticlockwise but at 4500rpm its only moved to about 11 o'clock,
As a comparison when the vacuum hose is reconnected it moves to slightly anti clockwise of 10 o'clock.
It sounds as if we've established it's working more or less as it should. It's very difficult ​to estimate the actual degrees by eye unless you're very practiced, as just left of 10 o'clock equates to max advance of over 60° btdc, which is extremely unlikely. As the actual maximum total advance should be around 45° (26 centrifugal + 14 vacuum + 5 static), let's assume for now it's about right and look elsewhere.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

bruce3927
80-90 Mem No: 8048

Post by bruce3927 »

It never rains! The van dumped it's coolant on a test run over the weekend so I've had to put the van on hold until after the trip to Ireland. Ended up booking cottages and will be taking the car instead of the van....
I'll resume the hesitation investigation in a couple of weeks!
1986 1.9 DG manual WBX

bruce3927

Post by bruce3927 »

I'm back, sorry for the delay.
I must admit I have fallen out of love with the van recently but I'm over that now!

I have tried several times to get a picture of the plug spark but failed.
The spark colour looks like a peach/pale pink colour. I take it that means a weak spark?

I've replaced the usuals i.e. coil, dist. cap, leads, plugs, rotor arm (always had a rev limiting rotor arm and that is what's on now)

I'm going to need some help as to how I measure valve lift as I've not a clue on that one!

Thanks for the help so far.....
1986 1.9 DG manual WBX

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

In my mind my 2.1 WBX DJ high top has suffered constant hesitation since I got it over ten years ago but I think it is me just never having a vehicle with such wide virtually flat power band and the aerodynamics of a pantecnican removal lorry. There is virtually no sense of HP versus RPM relationship. I fitted a rev counter as I sometimes found myself cruising along sweet as anything only to find the engine doing around 5,000 rpm with the rev limiter activating and the box still in third notch - out of five :shock: . Having spent most of my life with the capacity to simply drop a cog and getting a spurt of power I do find this characteristic unsettling. However driven sensitively the general performance is equal to and sometimes seems superior to similar vehicles i.e. comfortable at 65 - 70 MPH cruising and capable of 70 to 80 on the flat with zero head wind or better. I haven't taken it faster lest the picture goes all wobbly and warps me into another timezone like in science fiction.

Not having a carb I just have to assume this is the ecu working away seamlessly orchestrating the music and keeping all the bits safely (boringly) in order.

I just wonder what this recalcitrant albeit 1.9 DG does if you hang out the gear changes?

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

bruce3927

Post by bruce3927 »

I know what you mean Citizen Smith, it's always had a niggling hesitation but would comfortably cruise at 60 with loads to spare getting a constant 25MPG.
Recently it's got much worse where 60 is achieved on the level with foot to the floor, speed rapidly tailing off if a hill should make an appearance.
18MPG is a result of the heavy right foot.
When going up through the gears the hesitation becomes what feels like a vibration until I change up.
1986 1.9 DG manual WBX

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

bruce3927 wrote:I know what you mean Citizen Smith, it's always had a niggling hesitation but would comfortably cruise at 60 with loads to spare getting a constant 25MPG.
Recently it's got much worse where 60 is achieved on the level with foot to the floor, speed rapidly tailing off if a hill should make an appearance.
18MPG is a result of the heavy right foot.
When going up through the gears the hesitation becomes what feels like a vibration until I change up.

Not wishing to purloin the thread but:
You don't say whether you have a rev counter but you sure that the vibration isn't the rev limiter cutting in. Before I fitted mine I had no idea when to change gear and was horrified to find I was revving the sphericals off it. Now I rarely go over 4,000 RPM. Trouble is that the ECU give no clue as to what might be an actual fault or just in your mind. Particularly after being reminded that the old electrolytic capacitors need to be used to keep them healthy I intend to swap it with the spare every now and again.
Happy days...
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

I've had a look back through the thread and sorry if I've missed it but have you checked that you are actually getting full throttle?
Mine was a bit hesitant when I bought it and would struggle at speed, turned out there was far too much slack on the accelerator cable.
Adjusted at the pedal end and it drives much better and feels far more capable at motorway speeds.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

bruce3927

Post by bruce3927 »

What an adventure this is!
I had approx 4-5mm free play on the throttle before the stop.
Adjusted at the pedal end so now touching the stop on the carb and what a difference!!! :)
I can now easily get to 70mph and the van feels a lot more urgent!

Hesitation is still there, throughout the rev range so I don't think I'm hitting the Rev limiter. You've got me thinking I need a rev counter now though...

Just need to sort out the spark colour (pink/peachy) and I'm sorted. I hope!!!!!
1986 1.9 DG manual WBX