Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Highroller
80-90 Mem No: 12833

Re: Quick thermostat housing question. 1984 2.1

Post by Highroller »

I would put it back together as it is, fill it up and sort out all the leaks and then start to fault find the overheating issues first before worrying about the oil cooler. You said half the stat was missing, has it original one been cut down?
1991 2.1 WBX Devon microbus twinslider hightop

Highroller

Post by Highroller »

I just had a look at the photos on your thread on the late bay forum, that stat has been cut down for a reason. I think there may be more deep routed overheating issues with that engine. I would suggest that you put it all back together and get a sniff test done first, it may save you a lot of guess work.

Poptop2again
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Poptop2again »

Highroller wrote:I just had a look at the photos on your thread on the late bay forum, that stat has been cut down for a reason. I think there may be more deep routed overheating issues with that engine. I would suggest that you put it all back together and get a sniff test done first, it may save you a lot of guess work.
Why do you think they cut stats in half. Obviously they have,but it's the first time I have seen it done and don't know what's to gain by cutting one in half rather than leaving it out altogether.

I will be putting in all back together tomorrow when I get up after this night shift.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I haven't seen the pic of the stat ( sorry not got time to read another forum, repost it here would help) but at a guess I'd say it's because a stat does not just allow flow, it changes the flow from a shorter engine circuit to a longet radiator circuit. so as it opens the longer radiator circuit it closes the shorter engine circuit.

leave it out all together and you don't get good fluid flow in either circuit hot or cold.
If it's been modified the same may be true however mods are often to hide another issue.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Highroller

Post by Highroller »

The reason the top part of the stat has been put back in is that it will be required to form a good seal so the thermostat cover doesn't leak. I would also question as to why there is a large amount of build up of silt/ crud around what's left of the stat, it's even fully blocking some of the holes. To me it looks like there has been something added to the cooling system to try and prevent overheating or water loss, if it's like this on the stat then you've got to ask yourself "what's it like around the small water channels running through the engine and heads"?

As I said put it back together, get it tested and start from there.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

It's so the seal seals.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

ajsimmo wrote:It's so the seal seals.

That was my guess,but I thought it best to let others confirm it. It's the O ring that seals then?

're the crud around the housing. I think once I have put the stat housing back on in a while I might just take time to check other seals.

Thanks all for your input. Malc

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

itchyfeet wrote:I haven't seen the pic of the stat ( sorry not got time to read another forum, repost it here would help) but at a guess I'd say it's because a stat does not just allow flow, it changes the flow from a shorter engine circuit to a longet radiator circuit. so as it opens the longer radiator circuit it closes the shorter engine circuit.

leave it out all together and you don't get good fluid flow in either circuit hot or cold.
If it's been modified the same may be true however mods are often to hide another issue.
Thanks. I use a lot of dub forums. So much knowledge out there that it's a shame to restrict it to one place so, I gleam that wherever I can. M

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

^^ if you don't give us the full picture we can't help you fully, it's your choice.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

itchyfeet wrote:^^ if you don't give us the full picture we can't help you fully, it's your choice.
They are there,you just click the link I posted to The late bay and by magic you are viewing them elsewhere. It's like Harry Potter. :wink:

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

On a serious note. I am having trouble uploading pics to this site. I never used to when I first joined as poptop2 years ago. However since I have had to rejoin and have restricted access to photobucket I have had problems adding pics. Any advice on that would be helpful. Please don't suggest opening a new photobucket account,it's doing my head in trying.

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

:(

It's all back together now, but I had forgotten to charge the battery ( schooboy eror ) and she was too low to turn her over so, I will be starting her up to fill her tomorrow.

Still can't load pictures without access to photobucket. :?:

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Poptop2again wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:^^ if you don't give us the full picture we can't help you fully, it's your choice.
They are there,you just click the link I posted to The late bay and by magic you are viewing them elsewhere. It's like Harry Potter. :wink:

Ahh yes I see them now, were slow to load before so I didn't see them.
Strange to drill holes in the rim of the thermostat?

Got to get Photobucket working I think to post pics here, Perhaps taptalk but I don't use it.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

itchyfeet wrote:
Poptop2again wrote:

Ahh yes I see them now, were slow to load before so I didn't see them.
Strange to drill holes in the rim of the thermostat?

Got to get Photobucket working I think to post pics here, Perhaps taptalk but I don't use it.

There was a snapped stud. I was drilling it out to get the stud extractor on it.

I have been trying to get photobucket sorted all day. No luck yet.

Poptop2again

Post by Poptop2again »

Well. She is up and running. I filled her, let her run and opened the bleed valve on the rad and brimmed her. She has been running for 50 minutes and hasn't overheated yet. I gave her some high revs after 40 minutes to get the temp gauge up to half and to try and get the fans to kick in and she moved to half, I let her run for another ten minutes to check for leaks and she sat at half no bother.

I have videoed it and will load them to youtube to link people later. Looks positive atm as I also found the rad leak was on a badly seated bleed screw. I will have to renew that. :)