Front Suspension re-build advice

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

epowell
80-90 Mem No: 0

Front Suspension re-build advice

Post by epowell »

Hi....

...I am currently re-building my front suspension... ALL new bushings - no ball joints/tie rod ends because they are new from the previous owner. Shocks... I am not sure yet. I will also replace the rotors and wheel bearings, but I will leave the calipers alone (except for painting the exterior) because they work well now and I have a time limit before the State Technical Control

Anyway, I am now in the middle of tearing down all the front end (first time I ever did this :-( ...some things are going well, but of course having some problems also. I would like to ask some advice and help with my most serious problems.

1) How do I remove this big nut which connects the Lower Ball Joint (LBJ) to the Lower Controlling Arm (LCA)? I am hoping to get the LCA lowered and the SPRING removed BEFORE removing the calipers, BUT even with the calipers removed I still can not see how I can even get a socket on this LBJ NUT....??? Any ideas?
LBJ NUT

2) A smaller problem is how do I disconnect the STEERING RACK from that STEERING ROD... I know maybe this is obvious - just unbolt it??? But is there any special consideration for this so I do not mess up my steering alignment?
STEERING RACK

3) Last thing: The lower bolts holding the SHOCK ABSORBER on at the bottom are TOTALLY STUCK and WON'T MOVE. This is the early style "stamped" LCA so the nut is "inside" the LCA so difficult to clean the threads... maybe I should use a MAPP torch on it?

Also 2 X 19mm bolts on the drivers side calipers are TOTALLY STUCK..... very frustrating.

Otherwise everything is going well....

THANKS
Edward

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Front Suspension re-build advice

Post by Aidan »

with the upper wishbone balljoint removed the upright will swivel out at the top allowing access to the nut for the lower ball joint
yes just undo the steering joint, there's a mark on the rack for centred so centre it and paint mark it all if you like but it should go back together correct if all you are changing is the rubber joints
rostoff/plusgas patience rostoff/plusgas patience, heat
if it ain't broke don't fix it

epowell

Post by epowell »

Aidan wrote:with the upper wishbone balljoint removed the upright will swivel out at the top allowing access to the nut for the lower ball joint
yes just undo the steering joint, there's a mark on the rack for centred so centre it and paint mark it all if you like but it should go back together correct if all you are changing is the rubber joints
rostoff/plusgas patience rostoff/plusgas patience, heat
if it ain't broke don't fix it

Thanks Aidan... these pointers really help, Thanks!

epowell

Post by epowell »

Anyway, I realized that I will not have to remove that upper ball joint nut after all because:
1) I do not need to replace ball joints and tie rod ends
2) I will keep the Lower Control Arm, Radius Rod, Steering Knuckle, Spindle and both Ball Joints all together as one unit - and remove that all at once - all together in one piece. The reason for doing it this way is because I have the early style LCA and the RR attaches with 3 bolts and I don't want to risk breaking those and having a HUGE mess.