Coolant Pressure playing silly buggers!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clarence
80-90 Mem No: 10983

Re: Coolant Pressure playing silly buggers!

Post by clarence »

My engine is out and in pieces on the work bench,i hv found a 3/4inch blue scorch mark on top of the piston barrel,looks like i need a new engine,
Any recomendations where to buy a 1.9wbx Dg coded
Work less,play more as time stops for no man

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

clarence wrote:My engine is out and in pieces on the work bench,i hv found a 3/4inch blue scorch mark on top of the piston barrel,looks like i need a new engine,
Any recomendations where to buy a 1.9wbx Dg coded

Start a new thread with some pictures of your engine and we can help you.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

300CE wrote:Evening all! Engine is coming out, hopefully, within the next few weeks to replace the fire rings with the kit you can get from Brickwerks.
However, when my pal checked the torque levels on the head nuts, one was fairly ‘loose’ but the others were off scale (80+Nm if I remember rightly) and have been well over tightened which may have had an effect on the fire rings?

I'm a little confused by this. Are you saying that your pal either tightened or loosened each nut, and measured the torque required to move it? If so, that wouldn't give much useful information about the original tightening torque, as they can be corroded on the thread or mating face. If they were originally tightened to 50Nm many years ago, I would expect the force required to "crack" them undone to be significantly more. I often use a little heat and a hammer tap to break the bond and help them come undone without snapping the studs.

Sent from my B1-830 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Howdy! The engine was an Elite recon 4 years ago and when I started to experience the problem last year, we checked the head nuts & the torque levels were off scale on 3 of those nuts, so looked like they may have been super tightened (but may not be the case as per your info below), but one of them was hardly tightened at all (left nut at the back).

It’s always had a 50/50 mix of coolant and had more than 3 coolant changes since the engine has been in so I’m hoping that it’s not to bad, but equally know that if it has been leaking i could be paying out a bit more for barrels etc.

I’ll post up some pics when it’s apart so you chaps can give me some advice!

Cheers,

Justin. :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

I'm with Andrew, you can't check the torque of the nut after time because it will have corroded.

Also the force required to overcome the sticktion of the nut will be higher, I have often wondered if the incorrect use of the torque wrench is to blame for bolts that are torqued wrong.

If when torquing to 50 Nm you stop just before the click then try and finish off it will click, the extra force needed to set the nut in motion is sticktion, what you should do is keep the nut in motion until it clicks.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Also, VW instruct that click type torque wrench should not be used on wbx head nuts! I reckon the main stealers must have had some snappages early doors. I'm holding my hands up to still using a clicker, as it's much more accurate than a bendy needle indicator one, but I intend to upgrade to digital beeping one in the New Year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

ajsimmo wrote:Also, VW instruct that click type torque wrench should not be used on wbx head nuts! I reckon the main stealers must have had some snappages early doors. I'm holding my hands up to still using a clicker, as it's much more accurate than a bendy needle indicator one, but I intend to upgrade to digital beeping one in the New Year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Yes I use a clicker too, maybe it's the problem with sticktion rather than shock from the click which is the problem.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

300CE

Post by 300CE »

Cheers chaps, certainly interesting stuff! Just to say, the nut that was ‘loose’ was pretty much finger tight so wondered whether it became loose because of the pressurisation issue?
'86 DG, Weber Carb

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

300CE wrote:Cheers chaps, certainly interesting stuff! Just to say, the nut that was ‘loose’ was pretty much finger tight so wondered whether it became loose because of the pressurisation issue?

more likely some muppet forgot to tighten that one
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

300CE

Post by 300CE »

:lol: :lol: I’d say you’re probably spot on Mr Itchy!
'86 DG, Weber Carb