Head Gaskets gone :(

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

adrianbutter
80-90 Mem No: 1

Re: Head Gaskets gone :(

Post by adrianbutter »

Great thread - lovely cut away.
I 've just had a water jacket fail and the off-side head has come off fine - but in the process has pulled the cyclinder jackets out a bit. Do these just re-seat themselves when the head is re fitted, or with sealant, or need to be replaced?(replacing would mean engine out etc).
Guess problem is knowing if the seal is still good without seeing - but engine was perfectly fine before - and as the rubber seal is buggered in various places, that was definelty the main problem.

Just interested really as will most likely replace the engine - but tempted to keep my original for a DIY re-build!

Thanks,
Ade
Ade
T25 1985 DG 1.9 (early case)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

adrianbutter wrote:Great thread - lovely cut away.
I 've just had a water jacket fail and the off-side head has come off fine - but in the process has pulled the cyclinder jackets out a bit. Do these just re-seat themselves when the head is re fitted, or with sealant, or need to be replaced?(replacing would mean engine out etc).
Guess problem is knowing if the seal is still good without seeing - but engine was perfectly fine before - and as the rubber seal is buggered in various places, that was definelty the main problem.

Just interested really as will most likely replace the engine - but tempted to keep my original for a DIY re-build!

Thanks,
Ade

you would be mad not to replace the lower barrel seals even if thy had not moved, it can be done with engine in apparently but I wouldn't.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

Depends how much of a puddle its leaving. If its a small one, personally id put kseal in it, yes its a bodge, but you can and i've seen it stop the leak for 5 years plus, not just on one occasions. Ask the garage how long they will guarantee they proper repair job, you will struggle to get an answer.
Yes k seal is a bodge ,if your planning on going france/ spain etc, id say no dont. If its peeing out id say no, if its a smallish leak, put a bottle or even 2 in, worth a try. £10 a bottle it wont fix it, but may give you a few years which is more than a lot of recon engines do.
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

This thread is two years old :rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

lol
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Ah he really means the rubber water jacket seal.
They can be repaired but its no use just changing the seal.
The seal faces have to be de-pitted

I wonder what happened after all this time
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)