high hydrocarbons and smells rich

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

high hydrocarbons and smells rich

Post by diabolov »

Ok, It was noted at the MOT that the hydrocarbons were very high and only just scraped through, so I thought a new filter and off we go. On opening the bay I notice A LOT of engine oil around the carb, I took off the pancake and flex hose to the air box and there's fresh engine oil in both! I'm guessing this is the cause of the high reading and rich running. The van starts easy enough and runs lovely but you do get the rich smell wafting up after a while, which I'm putting down to pressure building in the cases for sing the oil up to the intake I'm looking at a blocked oil tower as the cause. Is this the only way air can vent the crankcase or is there another that could be blocked causing pressure? I also noticed the hose from the tower to the pancake was spongy, if this is collapsing could this be the cause of the build up of pressure in the cases? Can I detach the hose from the pancake and run it to a catch bottle instead, I'm assuming the hose from oil tower to intake is only to burn off vapours rather then anything else?

Regards

Mark
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG