1990 1.6 Turbo Diesel Leaking Fuel

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TMRAVEN
80-90 Mem No: 14926

1990 1.6 Turbo Diesel Leaking Fuel

Post by TMRAVEN »

So I went and filled up with diesel today (stopped before the auto stop function at the pump kicked in) and when I left the garage the fuel gauge was ready a needle width away from full.
I just went out to check the van's oil and water, as we are heading out on a 'Drive It Day' run with our traditional car club tomorrow, and noticed something dripping from the underside of the van. On smelling it I am pretty certain it is diesel (not that I make a habit of sniffing it so it is a bit of guess work, but it feels a bit oily and is clear) and having done a quick bit of research online I see that T25 fuel tanks can be prone to leaking after rotting at the top. It leaked slightly once before (the last time I filled it up properly...we haven't used it much so haven't had much experience of filling it up).
Does top rot of the tank sound likely? Is there any way of seeing the top of the tank without taking it off? Any other thoughts as to what it could be?
Lastly...how difficult/expensive are tanks if I do need to get a new one fitted?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give. :?

(A couple of pics here in case it helps)

'May night hold you safe in her velvet embrace'