Tracking in London

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Blaizefed
80-90 Mem No: 15141

Tracking in London

Post by Blaizefed »

Right gents, I am pulling my hair out now. I have an 86 westy, and my front camber is out. Its wearing tires on the inside edge. Had the fronts replaced, and asked the tire guy for a recommendation. He told me about a place called wheel power. Went to see them, and they didn't want to do it. Said he was concerned the underslung LPG tank would catch on his ramp...... I take this to mean he just doesn't want to dick with an old VW. Fair enough. Started calling around, and eventually ended up at another place called truck align out in Greenwich. They were recommended to me by three other shops who all for various reasons couldn't/wouldn't do it.

So went to see them, they book it in, and then don't adjust anything as the radius rod bushes are "too worn out". They didn't look that bad to me, but fine, I have no idea when they were last done, so I replaced them. Went back, he tracks it, then when he gives the keys back, and I managed to catch the mechanic, he tells me he has set the toe and the caster, but the "camber is not adjustable". At this point I turned red, as I am now 2 weeks into this, and all I am trying to do is get the "feck" tracking done properly!!!!

I should mention, I am a VW dealer tech, I know how to do the work myself, But I put down the spanners 18 months ago to raise my son (wife is an attorney, so it was no contest who should stop working). But I know enough to know that the first guy was making excuses because he didn't want to do it, and the guy who actually did it, either couldn't be bothered to do camber, or honestly didn't know how to. In either case, I won't bother with them again.

So this is a long winded way to say, does anyone know anywhere within a reasonable distance to Greenwich/Blackheath who is actually any good? I need this done, but I am done taking it to people who are not interested, or unwilling to do it properly. Is Baxter the only person in the country who can be trusted to do it properly?

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Tracking in London

Post by lloydy »

merit tyres have done mine in the past, you just have to be lucky on who they have working there. 1st time i went they did it well, 2nd time it was someone else and he didn't have a clue. So i told him to take it off the ramps.
I take mine to brickwerks now.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

If you've been chasing around for 2 weeks, that's a lot of time wasted. So maybe it's time to change your approach. Asking here is a good change, but maybe it's just asking for a recommendation (the same as you have been doing so far) but just asking someone new. So maybe only half a change.

Because of my work I'm interested in processes of change. Maybe modify your search criteria - look for a place staffed by old-timers, or run by one? Independent rather than chain? Someone who will listen and want to learn when you say "No, do it like this!". Maybe thats another part of the change that might be helpful - when they get it wrong you respond by asking them to get it right? Helping them get it right? Give them a Haynes for the day?

Or do it yourself? Sounds nuts I know, but I remember my dad making a jig for the tracking on our Saab when I was a kid (40+ yrs ago), but ok, you're in London, probably no off street space... sorry, and my dad was odd - built a bike out of wood once as well. Very rideable, but probably an indicator that he was autistic.

Anyway, probably no help, but my work does involve thinking about change. And late night boredom has set in...

Good luck.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

There is a place in Acton W4 on a trading estate, where I had mine done that was recommended by my garage. The guy had to ask me which model it was. As I remember, on his computer it shows up simply as a VW Transporter and year of manufacture - no reference to it being a T3. He had to use a torch to heat the adjuster to loosen the rust.

Obviously this is a long way from you. However, if you are interested, I can pop around there to check the name, address etc.

You must be from the Americas to call the trouble and strife an attorney! :)

Blaizefed
80-90 Mem No: 15141

Post by Blaizefed »

Oh I already crawled under there and got all the adjusters moving. I know from experience, just how easy it is to skip things when you are only getting paid an hour and need to spend 45 min getting the adjuster to move.

Yeah, if you know of a place that will actually DO the work, then I'm all ears. con is a fair old distance from me, but it beats the hell out of going all the way to Manchester to see Baxter.

And yes, guilty as charged, I am American. I've been here 8 years now, but old habits and all that.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Manchester to see Baxter :o I'm sure he will love that.:grin:
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Its a day trip. I did Woking to Sheffield and another time to Leeds, both in a day. As long as your van can do 70 all day long you'll be ok.

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Riverside motors in Charlton or JCMotors in Hackney (proper VW guys who love our old vans).
1986 2.1DJ on carb. panel van/Reimo camper / 1991 2.1MV Swedish syncro doka

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

So that's two places nearer to you. The place I used is called Motto Max Acton Tel: 0207 998 1880. This is the only tyre place in my area that is interested in sorting out tracking on vans. The guy in charge advised that the best day for tracking is a Monday.