Tricky off side brake? Problem

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Tricky off side brake? Problem

Post by waltraud »

Dear all

Happy Christmas, I hope Santa was kind and more importantly you've had some peace!
I've got an irritating and possibly dangerous issue. 1983 early dog van. Symptom of when brakes pressed initially I get a soft pedal which then hardens up.....have bled system. Funny thing is that when I recently replaced the disks and pads the right had side were more worn than left (it's a lhd Westy) ....plus, when I depress the brake there is often but not always a click/knock on the rhs. The only thing I've noticed is that the very early Brickwerks braided brake hose I have on the rhs seems v tight on full lock and seems to have a link right next to the stub anxle connection. I wondered if this linkight mean fluid only gets through j set pressure and then the pressure may stay on longer than it should if it's hard for fluid to return? Could the click be the caliber only working under pressure? Thanks. Also thinking of changing the master cylinder in any case as it's the original , ie erratic brake pressure could be down to an on off seal leak?
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

kombivan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Tricky off side brake? Problem

Post by kombivan »

I know this is an old post but what might be happening is a mechanic may have used vise grips while doing brake work to stop fluid leaking this can cause a tear on the inner creating a flap that stops the flow of brake fluid to tyhat wheel hence the less wear on one side you should also notice it pulling a little to one side when you brake. Also rubbish in a calaper can cause this also.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Only 6 years too late. :)   Better late than never eh?  :wink:
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

And vehicle if still around now MOT and TAX exempt. Yippee.   :P