Front end knocking?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Front end knocking?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Change it. I cut a piece of tubing from a suitably sized box spanner to replace the spacer sleeve! Cheap repair. :D
Haven't a clue as to what the 'modification' is though.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

handsmann
80-90 Mem No: 13724

Post by handsmann »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Change it. I cut a piece of tubing from a suitably sized box spanner to replace the spacer sleeve! Cheap repair. :D
Haven't a clue as to what the 'modification' is though.

To my shame I still haven't done this job. Can I ask a couple of (probably stupid) questions please? I'm trying to work out if the retaining nut on the top of the shock absorber is easier to take off with the suspension loaded or the van lifted. I guess the answer to the second question will answer the first one: do I have to completely remove the shock absorber to replace the spacer?

Thanks for any advice.

Chris
1985 RHD 1.9 DG, Pierburg 2E carburettor, high-top, no mods, wannabe mechanic

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Yes it does need to be dropped. Theoretically there is a little square on the top of the shock absorber that is to enable you stop it turning as you undo the top nut, in actual fact it will be useless as it will help to undo the nut a little but not remove it! I replaced the shock absorbers whilst I was at it so I just clamped the shock absorber rod with some mole grips.
You will need the wheel off for access so the suspension will be dropped anyway.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

handsmann
80-90 Mem No: 13724

Post by handsmann »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Yes it does need to be dropped. Theoretically there is a little square on the top of the shock absorber that is to enable you stop it turning as you undo the top nut, in actual fact it will be useless as it will help to undo the nut a little but not remove it! I replaced the shock absorbers whilst I was at it so I just clamped the shock absorber rod with some mole grips.
You will need the wheel off for access so the suspension will be dropped anyway.

Thanks - all makes sense to me - I managed to get an adjustable on the little square but couldn't get much leverage - it's too close to the wheel arch for my chubby digits :D
I will have a knock-free drive if it's the last thing I do!
1985 RHD 1.9 DG, Pierburg 2E carburettor, high-top, no mods, wannabe mechanic

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

mine ended up being the ARB bushes and one of the top ball joints was gone :ok

R.E.wing_fc3s
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by R.E.wing_fc3s »

im having the same issue with my syncro as well. ive checked all the obvious front end components, removed the spare tire carrier entire, removed front swivel seat. befrore the noise started I fitted new bilstein dampers to the front and reused the spacers that some have mentioned as a source of the knock. what causes the spacer to fail? Mine seemed fine so i reused it.

I also think it could be the front outer cv joint. if i move the shaft in and out towards the diff or wheel i can get a pretty sharp knock, not so with the other side.