1.6TD JX watercooled intercooler

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: 1.6TD JX watercooled intercooler

Post by clift_d »

Winchweight wrote:Any comment from the gearbox guru (Aidan), because no one told us this before our recent TDi conversion?

I get the sense that it's not a definitive thing, more that some of the people who've had TDis fitted for a few years are maybe starting to get a few issues with long term wear & tear. Jed posted recently about needing to get his gearbox refurbed, and lloydy is looking to pull his gearbox for a service because he's found gear teeth in the oil.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

:lol:

All those road-drill square-wave torque impulses have to go somewhere.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Sean
Aidan has been talking for years about what he's been seeing in Diesel gearboxes esp. TDi ones.
In fact, some of the mods he offers and recommendations are because of it. I haven't got the oiler plate or the stiffener insert... yet.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Not just driving style unless you mean low rpm gearchanges and lugging about everywhere☆
All Up Weight; wheel and tyre size; diff ratio (above 543 an added risk) etc

Out of interest Keith what diff are you running?

☆Neil's going to come on now and say... '..no chance of you being accused of that' :)

Syncronaut No. 1

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

There's others too Daniel...

A VVT turbo on an AAZ might transform it... with a suitable control system - even a manual one just for cruise.
You'd never get the tDi consumption though.

Syncronaut No. 1

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

clift_d wrote:
Winchweight wrote:Any comment from the gearbox guru (Aidan), because no one told us this before our recent TDi conversion?

I get the sense that it's not a definitive thing, more that some of the people who've had TDis fitted for a few years are maybe starting to get a few issues with long term wear & tear. Jed posted recently about needing to get his gearbox refurbed, and lloydy is looking to pull his gearbox for a service because he's found gear teeth in the oil.

mine gets quite a easy life really (problem might be diesel related might not..), and chances are its not the r&p on mine... all guess work til it comes apart though.. I am fitting a dual mass flywheel this time, which should help the box a bit. they weren't fitted by vw to these engines for no reason, and i think ill take out the 6.17 and fit 5.43 funds depending as i obviously have to change the front diff too.. i do find with the 6.17 I'm in 4th at 30mph and pooling along under 2000rpm which probably doesn't help

If i had a jx id fit a intercooler and oil cooler
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

wolfbus.uk wrote:what does yours rev at doing 60mph Keith?

Mine does just over 70mph at just under 3000rpm.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

HarryMann wrote:Not just driving style unless you mean low rpm gearchanges and lugging about everywhere☆
All Up Weight; wheel and tyre size; diff ratio (above 543 an added risk) etc

Out of interest Keith what diff are you running?

☆Neil's going to come on now and say... '..no chance of you being accused of that' :)

2wd for me.....
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

wolfbus.uk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by wolfbus.uk »

Cheers Keith that's pretty tall gearing, more like my 245 Volvo Auto than how I imagine a rugged 4x4.

Am I right thinking that the taller the gearing and the tyres the more strain on gearbox or is it the other way around? Running the JX I can feel the gearbox is not being strained or jerked in any way, also new Sachs clutch. Really smooth after Aiden's rebuild.

Driving gently would help any car but physics is physics and the TDI engine is surely producing levels of torque a syncro gearbox etc was not designed for, regardless of how you drive.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Bigger wheels and tyres add strain, from what I've heard the lower ratio r&p's like the 6.17 are weaker than the more normal 5.43, 4.86..

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Bigger numerical ratio = lower gearing. In theory, lower gearing means less strain on the drivetrain but at the expense of higher engine rpm for a given speed, but the engine will be working lower down it's duty cycle i.e. spinning fast, as opposed to straining at low revs.
In a T3 transaxle lower gearing demands a smaller size pinion head (they oly have only 6 or 7 teeth in any case) because the casing puts a limit on the maximum diameter of the crownwheel that can be fitted.
The 6-tooth 6.16 pinion head really is quite tiny, more like something from a 1930's small car axle.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

...and because of that the tooth profile is different Aidan and Rob tell me. The switch to a different meshing is the 5.8 and above. I was told this was to do with the cost but it could also be the 486 and 543 'cut' doesn't suit such small and therefore tightly curved pinion faces.

Syncronaut No. 1

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

.... although the diffs are low geared (high ratio) to give good crawling, with big wheels and low intermediate ratios they turn out high geared in 3rd and 4th.

As Lloyd says.. first can end up as good as useless in day to day driving let alone G gear. Dual ratio is out of the question of course without a transfer box.

Syncronaut No. 1

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Dual range...its just a dream.
It might be possible to do with a flat 4, using a "sandwich" casing on the input shaft i.e. between clutch housing and diff (as per Subaru, suprisingly small gears and with synchromesh!)
With an inline there just wouldnt be the room.
I digress....

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

HarryMann wrote:.... although the diffs are low geared (high ratio) to give good crawling, with big wheels and low intermediate ratios they turn out high geared in 3rd and 4th.

As Lloyd says.. first can end up as good as useless in day to day driving let alone G gear. Dual ratio is out of the question of course without a transfer box.
I am coming around to 5.43... 1st gear for me is probably like others G gear. Literally gets you moving and you change up