1.6TD JX watercooled intercooler

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: 1.6TD JX watercooled intercooler

Post by clift_d »

Oil cooler and charge cooler are the first steps moving forward that we're hoping to make with our JX, with some hope of marginal performance increases, but mostly in terms of giving the engine an easier time.

After that we'll be looking at options for adding a bit of extra oomph without going overboard.

One of the possible items on the menu would be swapping in a GTD pump. In respect of this, what other things would we need to touch? Presumably, the injector pipework, and the injectors, would need to be swapped for the GTD specific stuff? Or could we just add GTD nozzles to a set of JX injectors? Also, presumably we would need the modified throttle lever that BW sell. Would we also need to modify the engine lid to fit the LDA, or does it fit under the lid with a Syncro?
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Try and get hold of reg cheeseman he does wonders with diesel pumps. He should be able to rebuild and mod your existing one
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Clift,I have a "sb" in my van..the pump does fit under the lid [just] with no mods! the sb pump is faulty so im using the jx pump with two jx injectors and two sb injectors [I only had two flame traps so couldn't fit the other two jx injectors].
So ask away..
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

dave friday wrote:Clift,I have a "sb" in my van..the pump does fit under the lid [just] with no mods! the sb pump is faulty so im using the jx pump with two jx injectors and two sb injectors [I only had two flame traps so couldn't fit the other two jx injectors].
So ask away..

Wow that's sounds like a bit of a stir-fry - is it an SB pump on JX engine with mix of JX and SB injectors? Does it run? :mrgreen: More seriously though, I have lots of questions:

Assuming the GTD/SB pump can be run with JX injectors, is there a noticeable difference with the larger pump, or is performance limited by the injector nozzles?

I'm assuming there is a better performance hike with SB injectors - or can you fit SB nozzles on JX injector bodies?

Would it be better to use a modified JX pump with boost pin mod, etc, as lloydy suggests instead of using the GTD/SB pump in stock form?

Am I right in assuming the injection outlets on the GTD/SB pump are sequenced differently so I would need the SB pipes to maintain the correct firing sequence?

In terms of upgrade sequence, I'm thinking:
1. Oil cooler
2. Charge cooler
3. Stock GTD/SB pump or modified JX pump
4. SB injectors
5. Modified GTD/SB pump
6. ???

At what point in the above list does the quest for performance start to become detrimental to the life of the engine? I'm not interested in pushing it too far or going for speed - a van with a JX in it, modified or stock is never going to be a hot rod. I'm more interested in getting extra torque/HP for hills etc. I'm also not looking to give my gearbox a hard time.

PS How's your SB conversion going?

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

clift_d wrote:
dave friday wrote:Clift,I have a "sb" in my van..the pump does fit under the lid [just] with no mods! the sb pump is faulty so im using the jx pump with two jx injectors and two sb injectors [I only had two flame traps so couldn't fit the other two jx injectors].
So ask away..

Wow that's sounds like a bit of a stir-fry - is it an SB pump on JX engine with mix of JX and SB injectors? Does it run? :mrgreen: More seriously though, I have lots of questions:

Assuming the GTD/SB pump can be run with JX injectors, is there a noticeable difference with the larger pump, or is performance limited by the injector nozzles?

I'm assuming there is a better performance hike with SB injectors - or can you fit SB nozzles on JX injector bodies?

Would it be better to use a modified JX pump with boost pin mod, etc, as lloydy suggests instead of using the GTD/SB pump in stock form?

Am I right in assuming the injection outlets on the GTD/SB pump are sequenced differently so I would need the SB pipes to maintain the correct firing sequence?

In terms of upgrade sequence, I'm thinking:
1. Oil cooler
2. Charge cooler
3. Stock GTD/SB pump or modified JX pump
4. SB injectors
5. Modified GTD/SB pump
6. Fit a tdi.

At what point in the above list does the quest for performance start to become detrimental to the life of the engine? I'm not interested in pushing it too far or going for speed - a van with a JX in it, modified or stock is never going to be a hot rod. I'm more interested in getting extra torque/HP for hills etc. I'm also not looking to give my gearbox a hard time.

PS How's your SB conversion going?

Added point 6.....hope you dont mind :wink:
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

Our JX cruises at 65mph at 3000rpm, which doesn't sound like such a big difference from your TDi. If we had a bit more oomph up the hills I'm not entirely clear what additional benefit a £3K TDi would give us? I suppose we could stick one of those little TDi badges on the back as well perhaps. :mrgreen:

keith

Post by keith »

I mostly agree.....its the difference that the oompf makes on any sort of incline.

I thought long and hard ...about 2 years.....about mine as my jx was a really good one and never let me down.

Im a tight a*** and dont like spending money just to keep up with the trendies....

That said....its like chalk and cheese.....like a modern van.

And....if its a keeper .....the bits are so common place and cheap....and most mechanics have seen a mk3 golf in 1 form or another.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

keith

Post by keith »

I dont think 3k would get you one today.....then add a grand for the box.

Thats the real problem......its bloody expensive.
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Rather spend my money on petrol and know that the transaxle will last a good 10 years even if I rag it every last mile :twisted:

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

back in your cage you! :lol:
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

:P

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

silverbullet wrote:Rather spend my money on petrol and know that the transaxle will last a good 10 years even if I rag it every last mile :twisted:

*cough*

if you get your 2wd box with moderate wear rebuilt at a conservative cost of £1000, then get 37+mpg on diesel, you would have to do 20K+ miles to BREAK EVEN on the cost of the gearbox ALONE versus a GTi conversion doing 28 mpg

people spend an awful lot of money trying to decrease MPG

Put a proven, reliable, modern(ish), petrol engine in
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Clift,Well...the "SB" engine is in the van,as I said the sb injection pump is faulty,so I'm using the jx one.
Today I'm fitting the remaining two jx injectors.
I managed to boil the sb engine and at the same time the egt thermocouple went open circuit!
I agree with your list but a egt gauge is very important so that should be at number 6
The jx/sb injectors have the same part number just the letters are different bx for the jx,and re for the sb [the bodies look the same]
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]