CONVERTING AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL GEARBOX 2.1 DJ

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thebobster
80-90 Mem No: 8953
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

CONVERTING AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL GEARBOX 2.1 DJ

Post by thebobster »

My automatic gearbox on my 1990 2.1 DJ powered van has given up the ghost.

One option would be to convert the van to a manual gearbox. I know there will be problems but one thing I need to know is this; can my DJ engine with suitable flywheel fitted accept the input shaft from a manual gearbox?
I have been told that there may not be a socket on the end of the crankshaft to accept it because the input on the auto box comes from the torque converter without touching the end of the crankshaft.

Any advice on this problem will be welcome. Thank you.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: CONVERTING AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL GEARBOX 2.1 DJ

Post by Aidan »

yes it'll work, you will have to fit a flywheel and a spigot bearing and felt washer and clutch instead of the flex plate, you need the box mount clutch pipework and cylinders the two pedal set and the stick and linkage appropriate to your set up, 2wd petrol/how ever many gears, accelerator connections for normal engine and in a perfect world a manual DJ ecu
ideally find someone breaking a DJ van

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Struth Bob, lost of cost there. :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

thebobster
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

Thank you very much for the valuable information, Aidan. I know you don't touch auto gearboxes otherwise I would have been on to you like a shot for a rebuild.

Ralph, it's a case of damage limitation. Auto gearboxes to suit the DJ engine seem to be scarcer than unicorn feathers and nobody I have been able to contact is able to repair them any more as the parts have been obsolete for over 10 years. At least if I convert to manual, I will still have an asset whereas all I have at the moment is a rusty liability.

(Another club member, (Mick from NW parts) has informed my mechanic that he can supply the necessary parts for the job, so there is light at the end of the tunnel which is not just a train coming towards me.)

Budgie7
80-90 Mem No: 13816

Post by Budgie7 »

Hi Bob, I also have an auto and have thought about changing to a manual should the same happen. My box changes up really smooth but clonks quite bad when going into reverse , especially when hot. I don't know if this is a characteristic of the auto or not
I can't believe how scarce the boxes are but hope you sort it out one way or another, keep us posted
Barry
2.1 Caravelle Auto

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

Thanks for the comment, Barry. I have had to take the decision today to convert from auto to manual. All the bits are available used but I will be fitting a new clutch assembly and one or two other bits. I am now on annual leave for a few weeks so it is now I need the van! All being well, I should have it back by this time next week. (Fingers and everything else crossed)
With regard to your 'clonking' in reverse gear, the only thing I have noticed is that because mine runs on LPG and petrol sometimes the engine idle speed is a bit faster on LPG than on petrol and when selecting reverse gear the gear 'clonks' as the drive bites, it only 'clonks' the once and then runs smoothly. Is that what you are experiencing? As a matter of fact, my van will still move in reverse gear but nothing happens when you select any of the forward settings. It is not the control cables either, it is definitely the gearbox itself that is kaput.

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

My horse has long since bolted, but other people with auto gearboxes may be able to shut their stable door in time. This article makes essential reading for those who own but don't know much about auto boxes and their strange innards.

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=305
Last edited by thebobster on 22 Jul 2015, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Image ER - kids are off school again!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Image ER - kids are off school again!
Meaning?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

'Meaning?' ...?

13 posts in 20 minutes! Same rubbish on each.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Oh yes! Thats loaded up the timeline a treat...

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Good article. Is the cooler warning just trying to push sales or is the warning sound advice?
Honorary "Dave" 

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

flyinghitop wrote:Good article. Is the cooler warning just trying to push sales or is the warning sound advice?

I think it may be good advice personally, I noticed a drop in the ATF level on the dipstick without ever seeing oily marks on the ground where it is regularly parked so it makes sense at least as far as that. One job I will be doing on the strength of that advice is to drain and flush the cooling system before using the van again. Belt and braces!

Budgie7
80-90 Mem No: 13816

Post by Budgie7 »

Hi, Bob, yes it only clonks the once when you first engage reverse, but only after a run when it's warm.
Am going to keep fingers crossed and hope its stays ok, as there is no way I can afford to convert it, even though I work in a garage for a living and my labour is free.
If I can hopefully get the summer and some camping done then maybe I will look at converting it in the winter.
All the best anyway and if you ever need a ramp for an hour or two let me know
Barry
2.1 Caravelle Auto

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

Budgie7 wrote: All the best anyway and if you ever need a ramp for an hour or two let me know
Barry

That's a generous offer, Barry, thank you very much. :ok