CONVERTING AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL GEARBOX 2.1 DJ

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Re: CONVERTING AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL GEARBOX 2.1 DJ

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Mine makes the clonk every so often engaging reverse after hesitating, has done since I bought it, doesn't seen to have got any worse. Mine is also a bit slow to pull off first thing in the morning if it's chilly, have to wait for 30 seconds or so. Heading outside to check ATV. Still glad I got an auto for city traffic.
Honorary "Dave" 

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

I find it hard to believe that there is nowhere out there that will be able to rebuild one of these auto boxes. I have one and I love it. The Americans are running thousands of the things around the states in T3's and rabbits etc. It would be interesting if anyone who has ever had any work done on one of these could post where and when? They were fitted to Golfs, polo's, passats, T3's and many other vehicles. It makes me think I should have mine overhauled before anything wears out or breaks. I should think it is mainly bearing and seals that need to be replaced?

I Hope!!!
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Tried these guys?
http://www.crucialautomatics.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebobster
80-90 Mem No: 8953
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

silverbullet wrote:Tried these guys?
http://www.crucialautomatics.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes thanks for the link but they won't touch transporters earlier than 1995.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Aidan mentioned to me some time ago a place in brum that repairs our auto boxes,i cant find the link now,but it might be worth giving Aidan a bell.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Roger Bayliss?
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

thebobster
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

Thank you everybody who has responded with help and advice (especially Aidan who convinced me of the feasability of the exercise) but I have now decided to go down the route of converting from auto to manual transmission as manual gearboxes are at least available and repairable which auto boxes seem not to be. A reputable trader in this club has already agreed to supply all the necessary parts for the conversion except for a few bits I can still procure new (Clutch assembly, hydraulic bits and bobs etcetera) I will hopefully have the van back on the road within a week or so. Thanks again.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

OOI, what's the likely cost of converting? Didn't know it would be so had getting an auto repaired
Honorary "Dave" 

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

flyinghitop wrote:OOI, what's the likely cost of converting? Didn't know it would be so had getting an auto repaired

Ask me next week or so when I have added it all up. I will have a better idea then. I am not being awkward, it is a new experience for me. At the moment, if the baby needs shoes, she gets them. My everyday needs are simple so if it costs a few bob, then I will spend a few bob.

Regarding getting them repaired, every auto gearbox repairers I tried threw their hands up in horror and said ''No chance, you can't get the parts'' The only ray of light I had was somebody recommended to me by an extremely knowledgeable member of this club. The repairer concerned was booked up until October and would likely charge about three grand. I am assured it would cost less than half that to convert to manual transmission. An example of the responses I was geting was one repairer told me he could rebuild five manual gearboxes in the time it would take him to repair to an equally high standard a T25 auto gearbox even if he could still get the parts.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

thebobster wrote:
flyinghitop wrote:OOI, what's the likely cost of converting? Didn't know it would be so had getting an auto repaired

Ask me next week or so when I have added it all up. I will have a better idea then. I am not being awkward, it is a new experience for me. At the moment, if the baby needs shoes, she gets them. My everyday needs are simple so if it costs a few bob, then I will spend a few bob.

Regarding getting them repaired, every auto gearbox repairers I tried threw their hands up in horror and said ''No chance, you can't get the parts'' The only ray of light I had was somebody recommended to me by an extremely knowledgeable member of this club. The repairer concerned was booked up until October and would likely charge about three grand. I am assured it would cost less than half that to convert to manual transmission. An example of the responses I was geting was one repairer told me he could rebuild five manual gearboxes in the time it would take him to repair to an equally high standard a T25 auto gearbox even if he could still get the parts.
That's a very sobering thought Bob
And if I may say also for those that have found this by a search, the reality of owning a unique vehicle.

I'm guessing the Americans can struggle for unique parts too, I had a fella who wanted a DG inlet manifold..almost impossible to get and ridiculously expensive.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

It might be too late, and they might not ship to UK, and it might cost a fortune, and it would be a warranty nightmare, but did anyone see this?
EBAY LINK
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

kevtherev wrote:I'm guessing the Americans can struggle for unique parts too, I had a fella who wanted a DG inlet manifold..almost impossible to get and ridiculously expensive.
Bugger! I have sawn a few up just playing around!

Budgie7
80-90 Mem No: 13816

Post by Budgie7 »

Hey Bob, how is the conversion going ?
2.1 Caravelle Auto

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

It's cancelled! Plan A is back in effect.
Hopefully Bob now has another auto box fitted, and up for MOT today. Good luck, Bob. :mrgreen:
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

thebobster

Post by thebobster »

Thank you, Andrew, most sincerely. The auto box is indeed now fitted and the van has gone for its MoT test.

More anon. My fingers and certain other bits are crossed in anticipation.