Exhaust stud mysteriously snapped - Oh heck

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Exhaust stud mysteriously snapped - Oh heck

Post by ghost123uk »

Just a blog really =

So, Saturday off, decided to tidy up a few odd jobs under the engine lid, new temp sender, new plugs and fan belt, check fuel hoses, clean the BLOS cone filter, etc etc

One of the jobs I went to do looked simple enough, a few days ago I noticed a slight blow from the exhaust. Had a look and it was a manifold bolt had mysteriously fallen out. "That will be quite easy" I thought = WRONG.

I took the other one out OK, slid the remains of the old gasket out, slid a new one in, put the lower bolt in, went to put a replacement upper one in and it quickly became apparent that the old one had not fallen out but had sheared (of it's own accord). It's been there just fine since the BlueBird twin tip silencer was fitted 18 months ago!!!

It's the rear left hand upper one, by the water pump. I'm not going to attempt this myself. I reckon, to get access to drill it (or whatever) the silencer will have to come off and although it's only been on 18 months, the sliding joins from the "J" tubes to silencer look pretty seized up, as do the band type clamps. Off to Flintshire Autogas then ASAP. They seem to tackle T25 exhaust issues with no apparent concerns at all. I just hope there is enough access to that one for them to get the remains out with a drill (or whatever). Jeez, I hope they don't have to take the engine out to sort it!

Can't complain too much though, it's the first thing of any note that has gone wrong mechanically to my van in the 18 Months since it came back (from it's 2+ year stay at "that f-in body shop in Chester :twisted:" )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here