Pushrods Tube Seals

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cob20
80-90 Mem No: 13976

Pushrods Tube Seals

Post by Cob20 »

Morning.

I'm preparing to fix my leak from my pushrod area. (might as well get my hands dirty straight away). I'm assuming the seals are knackered..........

I've had a look at the wiki, various YouTube videos and read the material in Haynes and Bentley.

Just a couple of questions:

While I'm replacing the seals is it common place to do the tubes as well, will just replacing the seals mean I will be ok for a short time but will end up coming back to them regularly. I understand that this could be job specific and dependant of how bad they actually are, I'd just like to know what the more enlightened and experienced would do as best practice.

Second question would be, where from/which type? If I am best doing the tubes as well.

What are the pit falls and what else would I be best doing while I'm in there? I understand the rocker cover gasket is a no brainer and I'm thinking of doing an oil change and the regular change items while I am down there as I haven't had it long and want to give myself a starting point under my ownership.

The third and final question would be, I'm right in assuming the parts I'm looking at replacing are like for like with the US and UK air-cooled engines? I don't have to go trawling through US sites for supply?

As always all help is gratefully received.. :ok

Thank you.
1980 2.0l AFC Vanagon Westy