gears- or lack therof!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

gears- or lack therof!

Post by ermie571 »

ok folks. 2.1 mated to 4 speed box. recent new clutch following the old one slipping - 3 piece set fitted, oil box emptied and refilled. Has driven well....until today :-(

Yesterday I released the clutch and heard a new noise - very brief grumbling as the clutch rose. Only heard it in first.

Didn't notice it today. Drove to work, drove it at lunchtime. all good

Drove home. halfway up steep hill driving as normal, went from 4th to 3rd. Or rather didn't. Couldn't even get it back into 4th. No noise. No crunching. nothing to indicate such total failure was imminent. I didn't force it as I couldn't feel any give at all. Slowed down rapidly with me thinking how popular I was going to be....then found second. Pulled fine up the hill, but the bus shuddered getting it. got to top of hill and went for third. Came out of second easily, went into third, and then fourth. drove as normal. Got to the roundabout. Out of gear easily...then nothing. nope nada. stationary with hazzards on. turn engine off - found second. started in gear...clutch disengaged the engine,,,so as on the level it pulled away ok. trundled around the raounabout in second on hazzards and crawled in second gear down the a249. Went for third....as before, cae out of gear, refused to select.....rolled into layby. stopped. got second...gap in traffic and trundled off again. went for third as I needed it and got it easily??? stayed in third all the way to the garage.

stopped at garage..it refused all gears?? so in a foul humour (but at least grateful he had got thus far) I told my mechanic what had transpired. He thought I was on my way, as his mate drove past me, and reported my 20mph journey in his general direction! So up on ramps....linkage all good. Selected gears at box. drove it off ramps....took for test drive.Reported no issues....all gears selected ok. Reversed fine...until he tried to get it back in the workshop....took three goes with alot of grinding and crunching.

Any ideas....??

spigot changed about 4 years ago.
Recent clutch
Gearbox emptied and refilled.
Clutch bites about half way up - no slipping noticed

The last time the spigot went....the clutch didn't disengage the engine. Gears would select engine off, but not running. So symptoms similar but not the same.

The wierd noise from the back was audible to day.

Input shaft bearing was mentioned.

Oh - no whining or any other naughty noises from the box - and having had a rumbly whiney box...I know I'm not getting that noise.

Thanks in advance

Emxx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG