2.0 CU with fuel injection

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johnfevs
80-90 Mem No: 12879

2.0 CU with fuel injection

Post by johnfevs »

At the end if the summer I had serious engine troubles. It turned out that my engine was shot. It was running on 3 cylinders with one of the others giving very poor compression. A local VW garage had a look and the decision was made to fit a new(recon) engine as it would not be economical to carry out all the repairs required.
New engine fitted, then the problems started. The garage had problems setting up my old solex carbs, they tried refurb kits and spare 2nd hand parts, but power was still poor and although the van would run and drive ok on the flat it wasn't right. The garage had the van back and tried everything to get it running right.

Eventually the garage said they had a fuel injection set up that they would like to try on my van. I agreed to this and a Bosch l-jetronic fuel injection set up was fitted. I got the van back and it's never driven better. It pulls fine on hills and seems to have plenty of power, I'm still running the engine in at present so not pushing it speed wise. It's running better than its done since I've had it.

Fuel economy is not very good at present but it has to go back in the new year for an oil change for the engine warranty so a few more tweaks are required and then maybe a rolling road set up. I'm pleased with the results so far and hopefully once the fuel economy is sorted I'll have a van that I can rely on.

Roll on next year so we can get out and use the van.
Morris. 1980 Air Cooled 2.0 CU pop top. Bristol
1.9 tdi T5 T30 transporter. Daily drive.