How do you jack up the vehicle ??

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pandkh
80-90 Mem No: 13031

How do you jack up the vehicle ??

Post by pandkh »

Hi

Sorry for the simple question, I'm a beginner and still learning.

Van passed its MOT but with several advisorys one of which was the front anti roll bar bushes. Procured bushes from GSF. Got my jack and axle stand and wheels chocks all ready. Started to jack vehicle up by jacking point, and then realised, "if I've got the jack on the jacking point, how am I going to get the axle stand on the jacking point to hold it up??"

So my question is, if I need to lift the vehicle onto axle stands, where do I jack it from and where do I put the axle stands.??

According to my haynes, I should jack the vehicle up by the front axle cross member, and put axle stands on the jacking points. But i can't see anything that looks like it might be a front axle cross member AND looks strong enough to jack up on.

I was going to jack it up on the inboard suspension wishbone mounting, and then put the axle stands on the jacking points. Would that be OK.

Sorry, I'm sure this seems a very trivial question.
1986 1.9 petrol water-cooled high top

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Re: How do you jack up the vehicle ??

Post by shepster »

Use jacking point to jack up then put axle stand under cross member.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I jack from the track control arm at the front ( I have the later cast type) and trailing arm at the rear, never tough the jacking points.

It's all pretty strong on a t25, I think the cross member the jacking point is welded to is plenty strong enough, just need a block of wood to bridge the gap, in fact I don't use axle stands I find large blocks of wood more stable.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Post by baj25 »

Certainly not a daft question, I was going to ask around at Busfest to find out about this. I use levelling chocks to get a bit more space for 'wheels on' jobs. For 'wheels off' jobs you would need to jack and axle stand under the body though- I think the cross member marked up in red by itchy would be suitable (with bridging piece as he says), that is where my tyre change guy lifted van. There is a similar cross member at the rear. Hope somebody with more experience can advise. Bri

pandkh
80-90 Mem No: 13031

Post by pandkh »

Thanks Itchy, that's really helpful. I did see those cross members but because of the gap I didn't want to jack up on just one of them. Bridging it with wood is a good idea.

Anyhow, I went ahead and jacked up by the track control arm inward mounting point and put axle stands under the jacking points.

Anti roll bar bushes changed all round, including the link rod washers, bushes and sleeves. All torqued up and van moving again. Took me all day and is probably the biggest job I've ever done, but I'm pretty happy with it. Still a beginner but moving in the right direction.
1986 1.9 petrol water-cooled high top

Chalawandan
80-90 Mem No: 16514

Post by Chalawandan »

Hi,

Just searched jacking in the forum after my bank holiday smoking wheel issue:

At the roadside, trying to jack up rear with bilstein jack in jacking point, to see if the rear wheel brake pistons had seized on...
- the bilstein jack seemed to give up just a few mm from wheel off the floor, was spinning and clicking but not going up...
- then I realised I couldn't undo the handbrake to see if I could spin the wheel anyway - without the other wheel braked the van just rolled off the jack

So - what do you carry for the roadside repair - flat tyres and the like - the bilstein, a bottle jack or a trolley jack, with blocks of wood etc? Can anyone recommend a good value tall bottle?

And does anyone carry aircraft style wheel chocks (I've always coveted the aluminium ones on the eurotunnel, but not nicked one yet) for situations like above?
1989 1.9DG Holdsworth V3 Poptop - “Bianca”
Golf, Touran, LWB T4 Caravelle, ‘79 1.8 Tintop T2 - “Smurf”, Mk1 Polo - “Ralph”

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

pandkh wrote:Thanks Itchy, that's really helpful. I did see those cross members but because of the gap I didn't want to jack up on just one of them. Bridging it with wood is a good idea.

Anyhow, I went ahead and jacked up by the track control arm inward mounting point and put axle stands under the jacking points.

Anti roll bar bushes changed all round, including the link rod washers, bushes and sleeves. All torqued up and van moving again. Took me all day and is probably the biggest job I've ever done, but I'm pretty happy with it. Still a beginner but moving in the right direction.

That's the spirit matey :ok Well done.
You'll soon be an old salt and posting advice to other forum members
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Blimey old thread alert, nearly 4 years old :shock:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Chalawandan wrote:Hi,

Just searched jacking in the forum after my bank holiday smoking wheel issue:

At the roadside, trying to jack up rear with bilstein jack in jacking point, to see if the rear wheel brake pistons had seized on...
- the bilstein jack seemed to give up just a few mm from wheel off the floor, was spinning and clicking but not going up...
- then I realised I couldn't undo the handbrake to see if I could spin the wheel anyway - without the other wheel braked the van just rolled off the jack

So - what do you carry for the roadside repair - flat tyres and the like - the bilstein, a bottle jack or a trolley jack, with blocks of wood etc? Can anyone recommend a good value tall bottle?

And does anyone carry aircraft style wheel chocks (I've always coveted the aluminium ones on the eurotunnel, but not nicked one yet) for situations like above?

The standard jack doesn't go high enough to get our van off the ground so we carry a Hi-Lift jack with adaptor. We also carry a jack stand and a pair of wheel chocks. There are certainly more compact and easier jacking options than a Hi-Lift, but I definitely wouldn't be without the jack stand or chocks.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

I have a scissor jack, it jacks a flat from the rear trailing arm or front control arm, don't have to lift far because you lift the wheel not the body, small to carry also.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-cr ... jack/97595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks