Cheap Coolant Pipes ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Cheap Coolant Pipes ?

Post by Plasticman »

that bender would not do the 1mm ss tube anyway, they work on certain sections and such but wrong type for this
mm

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

boatbuilder wrote:After a heck of a lot of time spent thing about this and weighing up the pros and cons, I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth the hassle making the pipes yourself. There are quite a lot of bends to be made and if you did one of them wrong you'd be left with a scrap piece of pipe and possible would have to buy more so it could end up being more expensive. Plus you probably wouldn't have the tooling to make the flared ends on the pipes.
The corrugated stainless gas pipe would require the holes in the bulkhead to be enlarged (wouldn't the nicest of jobs) and the pipe has a very thin wall so wouldn't be as durable as the solid stainless pipe.
So I think I will save up for the stainless ones.... this is the cheapest supplier I've found...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351186211914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has anybody bought and fitted these? Just wondering about quality etc. Just found a crumbly weep on mine. Great. . :cry:
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

I fitted the one's from Brickwerks 2 yrs ago, I'm ure they are all the same, and they have been sound.

As mentioned previously if you can get a mate to give you a hand it's a lot easier, also drop the tank as mine had one of the clamps that hold the old pipes on directly above it so would have never got them off.

I reversed onto ramps and then jacked the front up and put on axle stands for better access, if you have the early system they also do away with the 2 small 'connecting' tubes that go through the bulkhead so in effect doing away with 4 more connections where a leak can start.

I also did the front to back heater pipes and changed the rad at the same time so quite a big job but still done in a weekend.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

For some reason the smaller 32mm early pipes are more expensive than the later 38mm. The euro exchange rate is brutal. 250 euros including delivery at the moment. Seems crazy for a couple of pipes. Come back air cooled all is forgiven!
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Been sourcing some pipe work for a machine at work and I've come across some pipe that looks suitable as a replacement. I'll double check tomoro but just to confirm its 32 mm bore and would 5 meters be enough for feed and return ?
I've checked their price for the 25 mm bore pipes that ive just replaced on the engine and it's around £15 / meter . (76 pence per piece )I paid the best part of £20 for 2 little pieces from Brickies .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Dazco wrote:Been sourcing some pipe work for a machine at work and I've come across some pipe that looks suitable as a replacement. I'll double check tomoro but just to confirm its 32 mm bore and would 5 meters be enough for feed and return ?
I've checked their price for the 25 mm bore pipes that ive just replaced on the engine and it's around £15 / meter . (76 pence per piece )I paid the best part of £20 for 2 little pieces from Brickies .

Its 32mm outside diameter for the early vans. Any more than 32mm o.d. and it won't fit through the bulkhead at the back of the tank.
No 5 metres wouldn't be long enough - I mis-measured mine before..

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

metalmick8y wrote:that bender would not do the 1mm ss tube anyway, they work on certain sections and such but wrong type for this
mm
Even if ya filled it with sand first?

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

31 mm od / 22mm id is £9.95/m
33 mm od / 25mm id is £12.26/m
How does the price of that sound ?

Those prices will be plus VAT
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Dazco wrote:31 mm od / 22mm id is £9.95/m
33 mm od / 25mm id is £12.26/m
How does the price of that sound ?

Those prices will be plus VAT

Prices are ok, a bit more than I can get 32mm for here.... but the problem is bending it.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

boatbuilder wrote:
Prices are ok, a bit more than I can get 32mm for here.... but the problem is bending it.

I would personally just buy the purpose built ones but if you feel the urge to bend some stainless then just apply plenty of heat, it becomes very malleable once heated to cherry red. Used to bend stainless tube by hand during my toolmaking days. Put one end in a vice, make a handtool that applies equal pressure on the inside and outside of the bend, make a template of the curve, heat up tube and bend it a bit at a time, always over bend it a fraction as it attempts to find its original shape when cooling. No need to fill with sand or anything.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

johninleeds
80-90 Mem No: 15771

Post by johninleeds »

Looks like there's now quite a few places selling 10m lengths of reinforced EPDM on ebay.

25mm internal diameter / 34mm outer.

Rated to 120°C, and cheap – e.g. £55 for 10m here.

Any good? Or is the 25mm internal going to be too small?
1984 converted panel van with 1Y 1900 NA Diesel engine.