Cheap Coolant Pipes ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Alzey
80-90 Mem No: 11484

Re: Cheap Coolant Pipes ?

Post by Alzey »

Yes, I Know, and I eventually bit the bullet and bought a set of stainless from VW Heritage, they were dearer than Brickwerks but they priced matched and as Heritage is now but a short shelerp away I saved on the postage. The only thing I can say is that even after dropping the fuel tank it's a pig of a job. Bad light stopped play so at this stage I haven't refilled the system yet. Although one pipe was badly perished the other was ok so I have one if any one wants it. Its freemans but you collect. Its the one that goes into hose that goes to thermostat.

Regards
Al

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Keeping an eye on this thread as I'm starting to get a little coolant seepage at the front & rear of one of the plastic pipes when the van is in the process of cooling down & which then stops. Haven't investigated fully yet so not 100% if its the pipe or rubber hose.

Will probably be going the stainless route & know it can be a pig of a job, so if you have any tips when you've completed the job Al I'd be interested to know.

Cheers, Justin :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Alzey

Post by Alzey »

Justin,

Why it's a pig of a job I don't know, it should be really simple, I think I made the mistake of just dropping the tank on to a trolley jack and not taking it completely out of the way. Anyway its like trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot, its not difficult but I seemed to be for ever dragging my ar*e off the deck and crawling down to the other end yanking on the pipes ,twisting, cursing, crawling out, slurping tea. I had the van up very high on ramps and axle stands but what I would have given to have had it up on a higher ramp. Anway its a very tight squeeze and this made tighter by the hose and clips used to join the stainless pipes. It all back together but I couldn't get the wire clips back around the pipes where they clip into the chassis cross members. Rained off most of yesterday but hopefully get it finished and bled today. Thinking about it, its probably more that I'm now the wrong side of 50 and to bloody old to be climbing under these buses. But I find it strangely compelling ....... :ok

Al

300CE

Post by 300CE »

Cheers for confirming Al, did you manage to finish it yesterday? Deffo sounds like the job will be easier with two people so will rope my mate in by tempting him with some beer vouchers! I had another look at mine after taking it for a run at the weekend and saw a drip appearing around the jubilee clip on the left hand hose (as you look through the engine bay) as it connects to the plastic pipe - it is really minimal though. I'm going to get a new hose in any case as they're only about £8.00 and will then make a temporary fix for the timebeing if indeed it is the plastic that has cracked.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Alzey

Post by Alzey »

I did finish, or so I thought....whilst still up on ramps and stands I noticed that the gear stick was a bit stiff when I gave it the customary waggle prior to firing up, should have stopped there but ploughed on and filled and bled the system no leaks but on further inspection one of the pipes was fouling the gear rod (not sure of the correct tech term) above the petrol tank. Curses. Anyway ended up removing the tank completely and rerouted the pipes and recabletied everything, although still can't get the wire hangers back in. Eventually run out of time and didn't get the tank back in. Found some rust on the tank which I shall treat and whilst it is off I shall sort out the handbrake cable. Happy days .......
So lesson learnt check the gear linkages aren't affected...and don't try to take short cuts.

Still laughing ....just, :D

Al

300CE

Post by 300CE »

Well done for getting it completed Al & cheers for providing the lowdown. :ok

Might be worth cleaning up & wax-oiling all those areas that are normally covered by the tank whilst its out as well.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

phil_b
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by phil_b »

Been watching this as I may need to replace mine in the future, as already done some repairs. For those looking for other cheaper options I have found a website that sells straight lengths of 32mm stainless in 3m lengths, 1mm wall thickness, for £27 plus £8 postage. Not sure of grade but used for milking machines (http://www.milkingmachines.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Obviously some bending will be required so would have to add that to cost unless you have equipment to do yourself.

Hoping I don't have to do this for a while, original repair has lasted 18,000 miles with no leaks and just done radiater end using same method.

Cheer's Phil
1988 T25 Holdsworth Villa Hightop - AAZ conversion

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Way to go Phil. At last some lateral thinking. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Alzey

Post by Alzey »

Yep, I take my hat off to you, I bought the so called replica steel pipes (cheaper than the VW plastic,how does that work?) and it was a right faff to get the pipes in the proper place so they weren't fouling handbrake or gears although I did finally achieve this, though to be fair if you can get the van up so you can stand under it's probably a piece of cake, withstanding that having a second pair of hands is also useful. But good luck with the milking pipes or whatever you find I'll watch with interest. :ok

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

It may fit better if you sit on a three-legged stool Phil :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

1.2mm walled 32mm pipe is €5 per metre at my local milking machine fella.

Problem is he would charge a few hundred to bend it.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Tempted to get the pipe and hire out one of these for the day....
It would be about 75 euros total cost if it worked (plus a lot of time and effort)

phil_b
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by phil_b »

Thats a great price on the tube, noticed that HSS Hire have £20 off the pipe bender hire so £33 for a day. Certainly something for me to think about in the future if/when I need to do a full replacement.
Phil
1988 T25 Holdsworth Villa Hightop - AAZ conversion

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

After a heck of a lot of time spent thing about this and weighing up the pros and cons, I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth the hassle making the pipes yourself. There are quite a lot of bends to be made and if you did one of them wrong you'd be left with a scrap piece of pipe and possible would have to buy more so it could end up being more expensive. Plus you probably wouldn't have the tooling to make the flared ends on the pipes.
The corrugated stainless gas pipe would require the holes in the bulkhead to be enlarged (wouldn't the nicest of jobs) and the pipe has a very thin wall so wouldn't be as durable as the solid stainless pipe.
So I think I will save up for the stainless ones.... this is the cheapest supplier I've found...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351186211914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »