Re: vw speedshop 2.1 fuel injection kit opinions

Post by dave friday »

Have you replaced the fuel filter?
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

right a little progress today, only just on in at 9:40pm, been fiddling on the van since 2pm

well I have found the coil was leaking some form of gooey gloop & the secondary resistance was out of spec so in the bin it went, my spare coil which WAS a know n good coil I also found to be leaking some sort of fluid so just binned it! got a cheapo coil from gsf its a part numbered match for a green label coil, its apparently made in Germany so hopefully may be ok for a while, seems to work & the resistance values were in spec when I checked in the shop

when I changed the coil I found a white wire with a grounding ring on the end just hanging around so I just attached it to a grounding point under the presumption it should be grounded

I have cleaned all sensor connectors & dabbed a little electrical grease on all connectors

now on from that
yep I did remove the temp 2 sensor when resetting the timing
when I reset the idle/tickover speed I disconnect the icv connector & lambda wire as per Bentley!

today I did get it ticking over more evenly but when you press the throttle pedal it stumbles/hesitates before revving cleanly but I haven't checked the idle mixture/CO level on my gastester yet! I will be having another bash at the 3 basic settings tomorrow & try to get it idling nicely

IT DID CUT OUT TODAY (SATARDAY) but it was after 2hours of fiddling which is the longest its idled so far!!!! so I think I'm making progress :oops: :wink: I hope!

I felt I made one adjustment too much just before it cut out so y aim is to go back two moves to when it was idling with no stalling issues

one point I did notice is when the electric cooling fan kicks in the idle rpms drop - I thought the ISV was to prevent that so going, it buzz's vibrates, i'll double check the resistance on the ISV tomorrow

what I noticed is when the engine does stall its seems to go from a steady idle to overfueling, C/O level increases, chokes up & dies, leave it five mins & it starts/idles fine again?????

I also cleaned the ECU connection plug & smear that with a small ameount of electrical grease

should have some vids tomorrow of the setup of equipment & readings I'm getting so maybe that'll help you guys help me but if I get my engine running nice the vids may help others with similar weird running/cutting out issues

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

Also wanted to add when I do check/adjust ign timing & I remove the temp 2 sensor the rpms rise is this normal? then what I do is get someone to hold the rpms between 2000-2500 as per the Bentley & adjust the timing to 5 degrees BTDC

when I plug the temp 2 sensor back on the rpms fall is this normal? this is THE basic setting before any other adjustments to idle or mixture/C/O correct?

from there I'll adjust idle rpms & C/O to the factory spec & see how it runs

right of to fiddle with this beast again now, report back later with vids :ok

big thanks to all who input some help my way really appreciated!

covdubber

SUCCESS ON SORTING 2.1I ENGINE STALLING ISSUES

Post by covdubber »

SUCCESS :ok well chuffed, I have got her running like a champ! still room for improvement but as it stands I would trust it to drive anywhere in the UK & back no probs!!!

no more cutting out at every junction or when the steering is on full lock, revs pretty sharp from idle no stumbling etc etc

I took it for a test run after a full day fiddling with the idle rpms & C/O which are now according to my multimeter with inductive pickup rpms 900 roughly
the gunson gastester also shows rpms & that's saying idle rpms are around the 930rpms & it ticks over pretty smooth pulls through the gears cleanly, not done any top speed runs on the motorway YET!

as I say I feel I have managed to get it to a nice TRUSTABLE baseline, i can definitely improve it further 8)

i did have a video but its not uploading for some reason so a bit peeved i cant get it up on here for fellow syncro/wassboxer i'll get another vid tomorrow as I'm taking the week off work to prepare it to go on holiday for a week

sooooo whats next now i have it running ok, my plan is to now throw a few quid at the motor so all new ignition consumables, all new fluids in the engine, full coolant change, bleed the clutch & brakes to flush new fluid in the system, new gearbox oil & front diff oil, check the brake linings

after that little lot, engine wise is to reset all the tappets again so i know they are spot on!!!
recheck the ignition timing & re adjust idle/C/O so its all in top running spec!!!

I'm a proper happy chap now today now its running in a trustworthy manner

the only thing i could'n do today was the C/O with my gunsons gastester as i couldn't get it to run correctly, not sure whats up with the thing but my MOT man is a mate i did a classic car restoration course with so i'll go get it tested & adjust if needed!!!

it does seem to have a sooty tailpipe but i have been messing with this on just idling speeds for about 3/4 days straight, now the engine is running it needs a good 60 mile drive to see what couloir the plugs are as i have wire brushed them clean

what colour SHOULD the plugs be on a nice running ss or mv engine?????

got a couple of other jobs to do also before taking her on holiday such as it needs a ball joint on the passenger side mine is a LHD but I'm replacing the ball joints both side, i snapped a wheel stud so that needs doing & anti roll bar rubbers on the front need replacing, they have been done recently with cheapo rubbers that have shrunk :x load of "pooh"!!!

big big big thanks for the various advice all SO SO SO appreciated! :ok :D

the main job before going away in it for a week is to get a stereo in it as it hasn't got one :lol: vids pics will be up tomorrow, early night I'm flippin shattard :run

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

Well done that man !! My MV ran like a bag of spanners when I bought it and went through loads of 'hair pulling' to the extent I nearly ripped the inj. system out and fitted carbs!! :shock:

Finally got it running as sweet as, my co2 is 0.6. It does sound lumpy on tickover like it's running rich, I think that's down to the stainless exh. system.

Look forward to the vid. :ok
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"