Anti-roll bar function

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Anti-roll bar function

Post by garyd »

The ARB is obviously designed to reduce the amount of body roll, particularly in cornering and it does this by connecting right & left suspensions and reducing the up-down difference between them. However, does it have any significant part to play in resisting crosswind wander?

My steering is all fine and the rack has polybush mounts but I still get more cross wind induced wander than I am happy with. Is it likely that new ARB bushes would reduce this?

thanks
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Re: Anti-roll bar function

Post by Simon Baxter »

Set the geometry first.
Straight line stability can be dialled in, however at the expense of a heavier turn in.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

^^^^^

WHS

The anti roll bar is just that and not an anti cross wind bar but as Simon says if you get your geometry correct it will make a difference. However, the T3 has the aerodynamics of a garden shed and garden sheds were not supposed to travel at 60 mph in cross winds. There are some things you can do to eliminate this instability by fitting a spoiler, lowering the van and reducing the tyre slip by reducing the aspect ratio of the tyres but it is a Syncro and you dont want to do any of that ....
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

On the way to the brickwerks open day the year before last it was windy and I have a hi top hovis loaf...over the M62 I had half a turn of lock on to maintain "dead ahead" ( captain) and between gusts was nearly swapping lanes...good job the wind also had me down to 2nd gear at times....anti roll bar is like new!

Think of it as a challenge? Had the same problem on the A66 recently...nearly got sucked off a few times.. :run

racebiz
80-90 Mem No: 8806

Post by racebiz »

Some good points made above.

I have also gone through the same thought process as Gary and ended up getting polybush kits from Simon for the steering rack and ARB but deep down knew it would not cure all.

The garden shed is a good comparison but is true and something I have learn't from experience and now tend to stick around 50 mph for cross winds as we found recently when driving down the M5 from Vanwest.

The reference to geometry is not something I have until now given enough priority too so cheers for the nudge :ok
1988 PD130 with Viking Pop Top
Audi A4 110 TDI
3.9 EFI Rangerover

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I always assumed I was less prone to crosswinds because I drive a tintop and don't have the big plastic sail on top like everyone else. Plus the face my wheels sit out an inch wider than stock.

They are brick shaped but I don't think a glass fibre hightop helps any. The worst experience I had like that was across the Orwell bridge in a hightop bay in the 1980s. Brown pants time.

The ARB has less to do with crosswinds and more to do with the front drifting all over the shop on an uneven or undulating surface. Poly bushes everywhere can make for a much harder ride though, from experience. I opted for a compromise with poly ARB bushes but new rubber on the rest and that seemed to be about right. I rather like the cosy armchair feeling of rubber bushes on droplinks etc but the extra stiffness on the ARB does make for better handling - plus theoretically they last longer.

Mind you, what wheels and tyres you use also affects handling ofcourse...oh, and the sail. :D

Worth checking for uneven tyre wear though. As Simon says, geometry plays a big part.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

Thanks for all the responses. Some good points there.

I guess the key one is Simon's re geometry. This was reset a while ago but that's no proof it is still OK now. I will have to get that checked out.

Anyone know a national chain that will do the three front end adjustments for less than the £100 it seems to cost around here? Or any Bucks residents know a good place?

cheers
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine