Early 1.9 to 2.1 conversion - stop me if I'm being stupid!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Early 1.9 to 2.1 conversion - stop me if I'm being stupid!

Post by itchyfeet »

:lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

:rofl
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

OK, back from my hols - time to crack on with the re-assembly.

The sump plug thread has been helicoiled. I ended up taking it somewhere to have it done. I was all set to do it myself, but was stumped when I found out the 14.5mm drill bit in the helicoil kit wouldn't fit any of my drill chucks. Anyway, he did a nice job. Here's what the temperature sender looks like in the sump plug hole.

So I'm all set to bolt it back together. No point in showing all the steps, now that Itchyfeet's rebuild thread exists as a reference (complete with new links to Flickr images - thanks for doing that :ok ).

Still, I'd like to show off my shiny case halves:

and my fully assembled crankshaft:

Now's the time to tell me if you can spot anything wrong. :shock:

One detail that's worth showing, since it's different from Itchyfeet's. My cam is one of Silverbullet's, with the vernier cam gear adjustment. I went through the process of measuring and setting the timing a while ago, and having done that I had to create a new timing mark on the gear, to align with the two dots on the crank gear.

I liked this idea too. Means I need to get it finished before Monday!

I've cleaned all the mating faces thoroughly, and I was moments away from applying the Loctite SI5900 sealant and bolting it all together, and I thought I'd have one final check on all the nuts and fixings. I bought all new BZP nuts and washers ages ago, but it seems in the time since then I've mislaid a couple of the M10x1.25 nuts. :roll: Oh well, new ones ordered, so case assembly won't start again till Thursday evening. Tsk.

Last edited by CJH on 26 Jul 2017, 20:45, edited 3 times in total.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

CJH

Post by CJH »

Not much else I can be doing before the case halves are back together. I've already assembled the pistons into the barrels. New barrels, new rings, cleaned up pistons. The pistons weighed to within a gram or two of each other after cleaning. Then I matched them up with the con rods (which were all within a gram of each other as well, as they should be, they're new), so that I’ve got the best weight-matched combinations - I’ve ended up with two pairs of perfectly balanced combinations, which I then matched across the crank (so 1 and 3 are equal to the nearest gram, 2 and 4 are also equal, but a gram different from 1 and 3).

So just about the only thing I can be doing this evening is swapping the valves over in my new AMC heads. Based on the advice received above I've bought new TRW valves from Brickwerks, to replace the AMC cheese. Will lap them in and then reassemble, ready for the weekend.
Last edited by CJH on 26 Jul 2017, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

and my fully assembled crankshaft:

Now's the time to tell me if you can spot anything wrong. :shock:

3142 from flywheel looks right, 1and 2 lugs opposite to 3 and 4 lugs looks ok so how about missing spigot bearing?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CJH

Post by CJH »

Good spot, thank you. I have one ready to go in, and I had mentally lumped it in with the clutch/flywheel/gearbox part of the job. But I'll do it now, so I don't forget.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

was there something else?

I should say those pics are far too big just downloaded one and its 1.8MB, makes the page very slow to load and would be rubbish on a phone
my pics are between 100 and 200KB for 1024x768, plenty.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

one more thing as this is an early case perhaps you can show us the bearings in more detail as they are different to a late case, or perhaps you did that already?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

and dowel misskng from 2& 4 case half pulley end, fits into hole in bearing, unless its just the photo?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CJH

Post by CJH »

itchyfeet wrote:one more thing as this is an early case perhaps you can show us the bearings in more detail as they are different to a late case, or perhaps you did that already?

itchyfeet wrote:and dowel misskng from 2& 4 case half pulley end, fits into hole in bearing, unless its just the photo?

According to Bentley, the early case would have dowels in all four crankshaft bearings, and the late case only has one in the pulley end bearing. I've bought late case bearings, with the tangs to prevent rotation of the three main bearings and a dowel hole for the pulley end bearing. I have the dowel, and I did pop it in with the bearings when I dropped the crank in.

itchyfeet wrote: I should say those pics are far too big just downloaded one and its 1.8MB, makes the page very slow to load and would be rubbish on a phone

Yes, I might revisit this. I was under the impression that the forum software resized the images before rendering the page, so that the only extra bandwidh being used was between the image host and the forum host. The bandwidth between the user's computer and the forum host would be limited to however much the forum software resized the image. But I just viewed this page in a different browser, meaning it had to reload completely, and I see that the bigger images load first before the forum software resizes them. I'll look at linking instead to resized versions.

CJH

Post by CJH »

CJH wrote:
itchyfeet wrote: I should say those pics are far too big just downloaded one and its 1.8MB, makes the page very slow to load and would be rubbish on a phone

Yes, I might revisit this. I was under the impression that the forum software resized the images before rendering the page, so that the only extra bandwidh being used was between the image host and the forum host. The bandwidth between the user's computer and the forum host would be limited to however much the forum software resized the image. But I just viewed this page in a different browser, meaning it had to reload completely, and I see that the bigger images load first before the forum software resizes them. I'll look at linking instead to resized versions.

I think that's fixed it - it looks like my image hosting package can resize on the fly, so I've set it to reduce the width to 1024. How do the posts above look now?

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

I think that's fixed it - it looks like my image hosting package can resize on the fly, so I've set it to reduce the width to 1024. How do the posts above look now?

much better :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

According to Bentley, the early case would have dowels in all four crankshaft bearings, and the late case only has one in the pulley end bearing. I've bought late case bearings, with the tangs to prevent rotation of the three main bearings and a dowel hole for the pulley end bearing. I have the dowel, and I did pop it in with the bearings when I dropped the crank in.

I have a couple of early cases but not looked at them, are you saying late bearings fit and early case?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CJH

Post by CJH »

itchyfeet wrote:

I have a couple of early cases but not looked at them, are you saying late bearings fit and early case?

No - I think I have a late case, because it matches the Bentley picture of the 'Water-cooled from 1986' case. What makes you say it's early?

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

No - I think I have a late case, because it matches the Bentley picture of the 'Water-cooled from 1986' case. What makes you say it's early?

errr...well....perhaps it was the title of this thread :rofl
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks