syncro 2.1i running issues FFS slow progress

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

covdubber

syncro 2.1i running issues FFS slow progress

Post by covdubber »

dear god I have so little time at the moment its making getting all my jobs done a right mare! anyhoo lets get back to topic

my 2.1oi is running rough when hot/warm, I have replace the temp II sensor, I have replaced the temp gauge sendor!
I have cleaned all connections with electrical contact cleaner, fixed a water leak SUPRISE SUPRISE!

now it runs great for about 30/40 mins then turns into a bag "o" spanners, starts cutting out, running rough as a dog, you give it a good rev then it runs ok again for 2 mins but after that its chugging like its running out of fuel

I have get a full tank of fresh petrol with a small can of petrol redex fuel system cleaner

now I'm gonna pick a new fuel filter tomorrow in this "pooh" town I live in, if one of the motor factors has one in stock in one of the multitude of "we can get it tomorrow or next week" motor factors

it has good fairly recent plugs/leads/dizzycap & rotor arm, I have cleaned the contacts with a scotchbrite pad till shiney

not sure what idle its running as my syncro doesn't have a rpm counter in the dash binnacle, I have got a rpm gauge I can hook up in the back for adjusting idle (how you adjust idle yet I don't know)

i' thinking change the fuel filter & go from there, I have already compression checked the motor & all cylinders are running 10bar so I think that's ok is it? all go up to 10 bar on the 1st crank rotation

my fuel pressure vacuum line has split so i'll swap that tomorrow aswell

any other idea's input cheers all i was hoping to get her out for a long drive, i put some rad flush in readiness to do a full coolant change

m3nutter
80-90 Mem No: 9088

Re: syncro 2.1i running issues FFS slow progress

Post by m3nutter »

Water leak? Where was that from mate?

Any smoke at all? Does it run fine when cold and does it have to be full temp before it does it? And is it one or all 4 cylinders

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

see the post by Brickie below re body work manual, in there you will find a link from SyncroAndy for the digijet DJ manual in english - there is no substitute to checking it through logically following the procedure and checking when in fault mode. I'd guess at TCi unit and some fault in the idle system, but it is an educated guess - with the emphasis on the last word
where are you ?

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

water leak was from the oil cooler/oil filter, thankfully oil/water didn't mix

no smoke at all cold or hot

runs really nice cold or should I say when it gets up to temp, once up to temp it run ok for around 20-30 mins then starts cutting out & running lumpy with little power, power just disappears, if you put the clutch in, give it a rev it then runs ok for a couple of mins again

it maintains running on all 4 cylinders, it just sort of dies away

m3nutter

Post by m3nutter »

Can you try another coil ?

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

i'll see if I can find that aiden thanks man!!!

the actual motor seems to be sound in itself, no oily plugs smoke ya know....no rattles, a very quiet smooth motor, so I do feel its "another" issue affecting the running

which bit is the tci, I it a repairable item? like you mention going through things in a methodical manner checking this & that is the way I work to be honest, I thought today was the day to go for a nice spin, come back do my coolant flush, fix two mechanical items one ball joint & a snapped wheel stud & I could go & have a little fun in it but alas no'p more diagnoses

I thought its was the temp II sensor & changing it "dramatically" changed the way the engine ran for the better, I don't think its seen a good going over check for a few years but I can see it has potential to be a cracking syncro, just needs some TLC its not rusty which is the main thing & the gearbox has been rebuilt, has had a lot of money spent on good quality parts, I think the vicous coupling could do with swapping but I haven't fully tested it yet, that's last on the list to be honest

like ya say aiden even if its an educated guess its worth looking into, to be honest I think there is always a little guesswork on a 20/30 year old vehicle that was built to take a form of abuse

its got some other foibles the diff lock ligts lol last week the rear diff lock light worked, the difflock engauges & comes out, this week the light don't work but now the non working front diff lock light works & the difflock seems to have started to free up and work, the light doesn't flash like previously it just coms on but I am getting the clunk as it engauges/releases so that's a bonus, so I have weirdo diff lock lights but as I say that can go on the to do list, I'm sure it a simple fix

my main concern it getting the engine working right so I can drive it & build my trust in it, gearbox its superb (rebuilt by yaself aidan)

gear selector & all rods need fully rebushing & adjustment but its working ok, steering column needs a new bush & a little love, i'll probably remove & strip clean & repack the cv's with grease all around, same with the wheel bearings & take it from there

I'm Coventry aidan, probably no syncro fellas around the midlunds

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

yep can try another coil, but if it runs ok cold the coils still doing its job, I shouldn't have thought the engine temp affects the coil...I sparks well

m3nutter

Post by m3nutter »

covdubber wrote:yep can try another coil, but if it runs ok cold the coils still doing its job, I shouldn't have thought the engine temp affects the coil...I sparks well
Ok just a thought as I've had coils breaking down with heat before....

Is it a DJ? Or has it got a lambda ?

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

has a new lambda

m3nutter

Post by m3nutter »

covdubber wrote:has a new lambda

I would say that's fairly relevant. Have you tried un plugging it when it's doing it ?

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

aidan I cant find that link you are talking about?

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

no not yet-cheers I'll give it a go when I'm working on it tomorrow :ok

m3nutter

Post by m3nutter »

covdubber wrote:no not yet-cheers I'll give it a go when I'm working on it tomorrow :ok
Long shot but you never know mate :roll:

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

I think my engine is a digifant setup if that helps?

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

is this the correct manual all?