sudden overheating - early water pump

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

sudden overheating - early water pump

Post by CovKid »

Not often I have a major incident but I have now. Came home tonight, literally 1/2 mile from home and flashing red light. Temp needle - had to strain to see it - was so far to the right you could no longer see it. Pulled into drive, switched off and let the back end billow steam until it cooled down. Tadge wet out there and dark now so will have to wait till morning but topped up header (which was empty, it did start, somewhat rattly. Wondering if water pump has gone causing it to boil.

I should add, just popped out and it starts on the button (not that it means everything is hunky dory). :!:
Last edited by CovKid on 29 Apr 2014, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ronsrecord
80-90 Mem No: 7441

Re: sudden overheating

Post by ronsrecord »

Think it might be incontinent?!
Making hay while the sun shines!

2.1MV Club Joker, 1988, LPG/ petrol

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Could be mush.

Cooked engines aren't a great scenario but it didn't sound totally terminal. Will check the oil first thing and try and refill water system to see if/where there is actually a leak. If its a head, it might be simpler to bite the bullet and fit a new lump - but hey it might be something simple.

No evidence of leaks prior to tonight - this was very sudden.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Jakemate
80-90 Mem No: 13382

Post by Jakemate »

Not what you need, especially now we have summer.
Hopefully it's just a split pipe or something simple.
Fingers crossed for you.
Vw Vanagon Westfalia Hitop 1.6td always poorley ;)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Re needle completely over to the right. I know there has been some debate about this, but certainly on my Tin-Top, if I remove the plug on the level sensor to simulate a low coolant situation, my needle goes to the far right. As I understand it, it is a design feature so the flashing red led is not obscured by the needle. I know that not everyone's vans do this, maybe that is one of the differences between the two types of control box (numbers 42 or 43).

Obviously, as you had steam, it's not just low water. Here's hoping it's not too serious for you Ralph Image
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Hmm, not exactly pinpointed it yet but starting up this morning, any leakage (and it was brief) appears to come from extreme rear (ie behind pulleys) but nothing specific...

There is that worrying rattle/rumble though. Would indicate water pump (and backed up by Hakuna Matata after phone conversation) so time to jump on the bus and get a new pump and thermostat me thinks.... :wink:
Last edited by CovKid on 26 Apr 2014, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

water behind pulleys maybe bleed off water pump failed, there is a hole in pump body which leaks when pump stuffed

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

And with luck, I may be right re the needle and it has not actually overheated at all (steam from coolant on silencer) Image
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

No steam in silencer. GSF list two pumps for 1.9s though - presume they changed in 85. Mine is on the cusp - would be.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

CovKid wrote:No steam in silencer.

Not in silencer, on silencer ;)

CovKid wrote:GSF list two pumps for 1.9s though - presume they changed in 85. Mine is on the cusp - would be.

Ralph, surely a man with your experience knows the difference (stat at front or rear).

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Surprisingly I've never had to change a water pump. Mine has the stubby outlet pipe on top so presume I need this one?

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/170vg0042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metal stat housing to the left

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

That looks to be the one, metal stat by the pump = early type. Here it is on Brickwerks = LINK, dearer but might be a better quality product than the GSF offering (or not :roll: ). I replaced (a later type) one once = no drama was involved :)

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Got a new pump and thermostat - £35 all in. Long old treck that was though - two bus journeys and about a mile down the canal path (seemed quickest route to Cov GSF on foot). Pleasant enough but then had a nutter on the bus sat right next to me on the way home. He spoke incredibly slowly and his only topic of conversation was Airfix kits. He kept quoting box code numbers, plus he had a pronounced lisp and appeared to be a bit deaf so it was wholly weighted in his favour. I stood no chance. Ended up getting off three stops before I needed to, just to get away from him.

I tell you, even listening to California Dreaming and Toolsntat discussing Tilley Lantern models was a breath of fresh air compared to that. I'd have willingly got a deckchair and listened to the boys swap stories about gas mantles and Tilley changeover years than the Airfix bod. All is forgiven.

Anyway, bit of bacon and egg to revive my spirits and I'll have a go in a while.

E D I T: Just come back in. Didn't need to slacken/remove belt to check for play in pump bearing - I can rock it appreciably even with belt on so 10-to-1 thats the failure. :wink:

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Proof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LghNy400HzI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :rofl

Also water streams down if you go near it. Just shows how fast you can lose coolant when its under pressure.

rob1927
80-90 Mem No: 11027

Post by rob1927 »

Glad it's nothing major, good luck with the swap. :D
Proud owner of my 1.6TD JX '89 Caravelle, other wise known as -'that which is usually broke'.