Has anyone fitted power steering?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bumblemum
80-90 Mem No: 5681

Has anyone fitted power steering?

Post by Bumblemum »

I just wondered how much it costs and whether it really is worth doing? I find our autohomes Kamper so heavy to drive and thought it would help.

audi0704
80-90 Mem No: 11284

Re: Has anyone fitted power steering?

Post by audi0704 »

Just been to Chris Hart's place in Stratford-upon-Avon and had electric power steering fitted,he's the guy who started out converting Talbot express motorhomes,someone on here posted a link to his website quite recently.The difference is absolutely amazing I drove the 200 odd miles home with a permanent grin plastered all over my face,anyone thinking about it all I can say is DO IT,you won't regret it its like driving a modern car.Even I can nearly manage to park within the marked bays at Tesco and it has also enabled me to fit a boy racer 300mm steering wheel and still manouvre with one hand.
Merry xmas and happy new year to all from one happy man.
From a post just before xmas still active.
1.9 petrol watercooled 5 speed manual panel van

Bumblemum
80-90 Mem No: 5681

Post by Bumblemum »

Dare I ask how much?

audi0704
80-90 Mem No: 11284

Post by audi0704 »

Don't mind at all £450 if you go shopping in Stratford for 2 or 3 hours or £330 if you do it yourself with loads of help/advice from Chris who by the way is one of the nicest/helpful blokes you could wish to meet or you can buy the necessary bits and do the welding/machining yourself if you're confident/competent enough. I have thought about getting this done since I bought the van 18 months ago and can honestly say hand on heart its the best lump of money I've spent on the van,the difference is really unbelievable but don't take my word for it check out Chris's feedback on http://www.talbot-express-power-steerin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ions.co.uk.
1.9 petrol watercooled 5 speed manual panel van

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Make sure the tyres are inflated to the correct pressures.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Me mate had this done last year

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CAMPER-T25 ... 1361593935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£400 fitted. Very pro job/fitment etc. has benefit of being speed sensitive aswell. Has trigger wheel on CV :ok

Shaundon
80-90 Mem No: 9386

Post by Shaundon »

I got a kit from Ultimate engineering a couple of years ago and fitted it myself. Best £400 quid i've spent on the van as I have a dodgy shoulder and it really helps fatigue on long journeys....

http://ultimate-engineering.co.uk/powersteering.html

S.
1984 1.9 petrol wbx DH with a pierburg carb , LHD westfalia club joker.

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

ELVIS wrote:Me mate had this done last year

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CAMPER-T25 ... 1361593935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£400 fitted. Very pro job/fitment etc. has benefit of being speed sensitive aswell. Has trigger wheel on CV :ok

What puts me off about getting that guy on ebay to fit power steering for me is his ebay username "killerscum01" - doesn't inspire much confidence!
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

i njust typed it in the search box and got 958 hits on here ........
mm

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Shaundon wrote:I got a kit from Ultimate engineering a couple of years ago and fitted it myself. Best £400 quid i've spent on the van as I have a dodgy shoulder and it really helps fatigue on long journeys....

http://ultimate-engineering.co.uk/powersteering.html

S.

Fully speed related. :ok. Brilliant bit of kit.
2.1 Twin slider

chiz
80-90 Mem No: 4069

Post by chiz »

Can I just ask what did you tell the insurance company when you installed the system.

Is the cheapest option not to have a big steering wheel, then you can steer the van on long journeys with your knee.
16" Syncro 3.0 H6 Subaru,Bluestar 2.1,Golf Country Chrome converted to RHD.

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Exactly what was fitted.
2.1 Twin slider

Santa79
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Santa79 »

chiz wrote:Can I just ask what did you tell the insurance company when you installed the system.

Is the cheapest option not to have a big steering wheel, then you can steer the van on long journeys with your knee.

I'm pretty certain that if you just put a smaller steering wheel on with no power steering it will actually make it much harder to steer than it already is. That's why the original wheel is so big, so you have a greater moment about the centre point. The only way you can make a smaller wheel work is with power steering.

I think I may well be dropping the van in to ultimate engineering on my way up to see the folks one weekend soon!
1987 RHD Karmann Gipsy 1.9DG (Gaston)

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein.