Hot start issue and running out of electricity

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Re: Hot start issue and running out of electricity

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

Ahh.. I get it now, it Was The alternator to starter link I didn't understand why that should cause problems or even it's purpose.

So what are the 3 pins coming off the alternator plug? One is this link wire to the main cable via the starter to put power back into the system..

I have a brand new alternator fitted which is putting out a good voltage, it's just not getting to the battery hence replacing parts.
With the rusted on nuts on the back Of The starter I have opted to replace the starter and all the cable run, not just the suspect one from the alternator to starter, this may be overkill but I'm tired of constantly breaking down
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Thanks for actually coming back and confirming what the fault was, so this thread has a conclusion to help other in the future.....

The three pin plug on the back of the early starter has a thin blue wire, that is the "exciter" to tell the alternator to charge immediately, it controls the red warning light on your dash so you can tell if the alternator has stopped out putting power .
The other two fatter wires are the actual output , both going to the battery to make up the high amperage feed from the alternator. On later vans this is just one much fatter wire Ona bolt on connection .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

So the problem appears to be fixed. Replaced the starter as the nuts were rusted to hell, ended up smashing the housing trying to get it undone. New alternator plug and wiring to the new starter and a new run of 0-AWG back to the battery (bought 5m, didn't need it all). Used 8awg I think for the shorter run alternator to starter which was still fatter than what was there. Finished with new neg batt cable off brickworks which supplied the alternator plug and cable ends, cables were thin stranded copper cables off eBay and new terminal then finally a new 096/100 battery again off eBay,
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

asterix_the_gaul wrote:So the problem appears to be fixed. Replaced the starter as the nuts were rusted to hell, ended up smashing the housing trying to get it undone. New alternator plug and wiring to the new starter and a new run of 0-AWG back to the battery (bought 5m, didn't need it all). Used 8awg I think for the shorter run alternator to starter which was still fatter than what was there. Finished with new neg batt cable off brickworks which supplied the alternator plug and cable ends, cables were thin stranded copper cables off eBay and new terminal then finally a new 096/100 battery again off eBay,

Good work !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Well done