Removing Engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

The Hairy Camper
80-90 Mem No: 16820

Removing Engine

Post by The Hairy Camper »

Hi people, so my van is on ramps and i'm looking forward to removing the engine and gearbox to address some issues! 8)

Now i've searched the forum looking for advice on engine removal/dropping, but seem to have only found advice on petrol and mostly air cooled engines!

Mine is a 1.7KY (water cooled) and i'm thinking i probably need to clamp some water and fuel hoses? I've never removed an engine before, i have no idea what undo or clamp first! So any and all advice is much appreciated!

I do however have an engine crane to take the weight and know where to connect the leveller! :D Guess thats a start!! :lol:

Cheers!

1984 Autosleeper, pop-top, 1.7 KY, 5-Speed

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Removing Engine

Post by itchyfeet »

undo any coolant hose you like, the lower down the better for draining, if you are keeping the coolant then catch it in a bowl, if not let it drop.
As for fuel dunno somebody will, if it's not under pressure then just pull the hoses off and stick something in the pipe to stop dirt getting in, I use drill bit shanks.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

The Hairy Camper

itchyfeet wrote:undo any coolant hose you like, the lower down the better for draining, if you are keeping the coolant then catch it in a bowl, if not let it drop.
As for fuel dunno somebody will, if it's not under pressure then just pull the hoses off and stick something in the pipe to stop dirt getting in, I use drill bit shanks.

Cheers itchyfeet, any idea how much coolant will leak from the engine? I believe my van will contains around 14 litres (somewhere)!?

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

dunno at a guess 5-6 litres as that's what comes out of a WBX
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

The Hairy Camper

itchyfeet wrote:dunno at a guess 5-6 litres as that's what comes out of a WBX

Cheers, i'll try my 2 gallon bucket and see how that does then 8)

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

I use an old washing up bowl and a bucket, bucket may not fit under so decant the bowl into bucket when full.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

If you’ve never taken an engine out before, the book of lies, (Haynes manual) is a cheap and sensible shout to refer to while your doing the job, read as much as you can from the internet to make sense of it all.
From a safety point of view
Chock your vehicle, it’ll be the only thing apart from the parking brake stopping it moving.
Ensure the parking brake is fully applied.
Disconnect the battery - you don’t want an inadvertent arc when doing starter/alternator
When unbolting the engine to gearbox do the bottom bolts and any connectors unberneath first - you don’t want to be underneath a half disconnected engine while your yanking on stuff, your body will not make a great cushion for a dropped engine.
When underneath wear safety specs - even a cheap pair will help prevent dust, rust, fuel, coolant, etc getting in your eyes.
Tight bolts, try to tighten a little first to crack the rust seal and use a penetrating lubricant like WD40 it makes life easier and if you round it off tightening you still have a shot at getting it off.
Have your phone to hand or make sure someone can hear if you shout for help - it takes a second for simple things to go very wrong particularly when working alone.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

The Hairy Camper

Thanks adie89, very much appreciate your advice.

I would not have though of tightening rusty bolts before trying to remove them? I managed to get hold of an impact wrench which should make a few removals easier too.

I will keep my phone on me if solo :lol:

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

re: phone.. Take loads of photos of engine bay and all round underneath.. you may not need them but it can be invaluable later on when faced with several wires and bits of coolant hose
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

The Hairy Camper

Will do mrhutch, i was thinking of taking pictures to try and make a removal guide for a diesel engine on here. Second thoughts, I will probably make plenty of mistakes :lol:

Any luck finding that alternator??

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

The Hairy Camper wrote:Thanks adie89, very much appreciate your advice.

I would not have though of tightening rusty bolts before trying to remove them? I managed to get hold of an impact wrench which should make a few removals easier too.

I will keep my phone on me if solo :lol:

It seemed odd when I heard it first. But by trying to tighten it a tiny bit you’ll crack the corrosion and then be able to undo, but if it’s too tight and the tool slips and damages the fastener head you should still have the opposite direction not rounded off so you can still loosen.
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

The Hairy Camper

Ok, so today I removed the coolant hoses (drained/collected any coolant that came out),
Disconnected and removed battery,
Disconnected any wiring connected to the alternator.

Despite feeling like i could easily mess things up, i quite enjoyed myself :lol:

I have a few questions i'm hoping someone would like to answer :lol:

First, whats this before i disconnect it:
Brake fluid reservoir? So rusty i'm thinking of replacing it??

2. Can the exhaust system stay connected when i drop the engine? Looks as if it can.

3. What threads are the CV joint bolts? My 6mm allen was close, but did not seem to fit? Bolts could just be dirty though?

Cheers!

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

I don't know the 1.7kY engine so can't help on the identification except that it isn't what you think it is. Follow the hose and see where it goes to.

On the CV bolts I think they will be either 6mm hex or could be an 8mm spline. You should properly clean them, soak them and then use a "tapped" in bit with a socket to remove them. Allen keys are too soft, twisty and if you chew the heads up life will become difficult.

Good luck
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Its the brake servo pump.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

The Hairy Camper

multisi wrote:Its the brake servo pump.

I wasn't far off 8) Am i safe to disconnect and plug this?