bleed brakes before clutch?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matteo
80-90 Mem No: 16689

bleed brakes before clutch?

Post by matteo »

Hi,

When flushing through the brake and clutch fluid should I bleed the brakes first or the clutch cylinder first? Going with the logic of furthest from the master first I'm thinking rear brakes, clutch, front brakes.
This is probably a simple question but I've had a good search on the wiki and forum with no luck.
Cheers,
Matteo
1980 2l CU Aircooled; left-hand drive - now officially a historic vehicle!

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: bleed brakes before clutch?

Post by itchyfeet »

brakes and clutch are entirely separate circuits only sharing the same top up tank so you can do them either way.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

matteo
80-90 Mem No: 16689

Post by matteo »

Ah I see! Thanks, I'll get going with this job this now (in the rain) At least it will be dry underneath!
1980 2l CU Aircooled; left-hand drive - now officially a historic vehicle!

mrdp
80-90 Mem No: 9366

Post by mrdp »

Hi , From memory it goes back offside, back nearside, front offside , then front nearside. It's fairly easy with one of those vacuum bleeder efforts one person job then :ok ( note if you do use a vacuum bleeder , I put a bit of PTFE tape around the bleed nipple thread while getting the fluid through or else it draws air from that joint, having said that I had completely no fluid in the system prior to putting the new fluid in) hope this helps :D

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

mrdp wrote:Hi , From memory it goes back offside, back nearside, front offside , then front nearside. It's fairly easy with one of those vacuum bleeder efforts one person job then :ok ( note if you do use a vacuum bleeder , I put a bit of PTFE tape around the bleed nipple thread while getting the fluid through or else it draws air from that joint, having said that I had completely no fluid in the system prior to putting the new fluid in) hope this helps :D

why vacuum bleeder pressure bleeder is surely easier?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks