Seized Gearbox sump bolt (Non-VW)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Seized Gearbox sump bolt (Non-VW)

Post by nesty »

Before, I get shot, this is non VW T25, but related to my other vehicle, my daily runner (Micra K11 CVT). A bullet-proof little number, just like my T25!
As all here are very technically mechanically minded. I assume there is a universal process to deal with these things!

I want to change the CVT transmission fluid. The sump drain plug is not budging. I haven’t yet jacked the vehicle up too high, as I assumed I could get off ok. (The engine oil sump plug comes off fine). Though, I’ll probably need to jack up to get some kind of anchorage leverage. I really don’t want to strip the thread.
What is the best way to approach this. Any ways to possibly loosen it prior?
Here's a photo. The stuff around the bolt is WD40.

Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Seized Gearbox sump bolt (Non-VW)

Post by CovKid »

For starters, make sure you're using a six-point impact socket rather than a 12-point regular socket or matters will get worse. If it still won't budge you may be able to pump gearbox oil out, but correct socket essential.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

nesty

Post by nesty »

Ok thanks. I think I do have some a high impact socket set somewhere come to think of it!
I am a bit weary to apply much pressure, as don't want to strip the thread.
(Got oil sump bolt thread issues with my T25, that might have to be re-threaded in 2018)!

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

As already said a 6 point socket and a bit of gentle persuasion and it should come free. Do it with oil hot should help, or heat the bolt up with a blow torch if it remains stubborn.

Mine on the van is an internal hex and it does not want to shift at all. I had to resort to an oil pump, while not ideal it did seem to remove in the region of 4.1-4.2 ltrs
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

nesty

Post by nesty »

Many thanks for the replies. This is my daily. can't risk it being off the road too much. I thought it would be nice easy job!
The same garage which changed this transmisson fluid last a few years ago; was the same garage with did my major T25 service. I found the same thing with my T25 oil sump bolt. it was on mega tight. I got that off. Tho, I think the thread damaged. Managed on T25 to get the sump plug back in ok. It didn't feel smooth on the thread at all, so next oil change in spring that wil have to be re-threaded!
I don't know what torque they putting these bolts on with!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Unfortunately guesswork seems to be the methodology used by some mechanics. Wheel bolts and sump plugs seem to suffer the most from this. I always check them afterwards to see they haven't been overtightened. A sump bolt only needs tightening enough to crush the copper washer and just snug - no more. Oh, and plugs too. Some people seem to think they need masses of force when tightening them down - with obvious results :(

Safest bet with a sump plug in the absence of an accurate torque wrench is only use your last three fingers when using the ratchet to tighten. Works on most bolts in the 10-15lb category. Three fingers will limit the pressure you can apply.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Have you tried something like Normfest super crack-off, available from euro carparts . Usually pretty good for loosening stubborn nuts.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Loctite Freeze and Release spray worked for me on some exhaust studs.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure