Where's 3rd gear gone

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

markysparky71
80-90 Mem No: 0

Where's 3rd gear gone

Post by markysparky71 »

hi folks just returned from the lakes on the back of a tow Truck!
Driving over hard knot pass just about to reach the top and loads of vibration from the rear of the van and through the gear stick I was in 3rd at the time, dropped into second and all vibration stopped and I carried on over the top and pulled over to investigate. No obvious signs of anything loose or anything to worry about jumped back in now travelling down hill 1st 2nd ok into 3rd and all the vibration and rattling returned in to 4 th and stopped travelled on to the campsite using only 3 gears trying 3 rd gear occasionally with the same outcome. When I got recovered selecting 3 rd gear with the clutch disengaged wasn't even moving the van just a load of grinding and rattling all other gears still function although there is a metalic noise now present.
I have a 19 td AAZ and a 4 speed I think DK gearbox will check tomorrow. I'm guessing the box is bust? What in people's opinions are my next move?? I am fairly good with diy mechanics swapped my last engine out/in
I haven't looked properly at my options oh and cash is limited also :-(
Feeling hopefull
Cheers for any info
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

Mojoh

Re: Where's 3rd gear gone

Post by Mojoh »

How ever you are good at DIY mechanics, don't play with your gearbox. You'll break it further.
It's an appliance of science, believe me. Seriously no no area, how ever simple you think it might be!

You'll need about a grand plus in money and Aidan Talbots knowledge!....... then you'll have a decent box.

I know this, because he knows what he is doing. We share this, but are shores apart :)

There's only one way, the correct way! Go talk to him.

mojoh.

markysparky71

Post by markysparky71 »

Cheers mojoh for the cryptic message of doom!
My problem is I would like a second opinion that the box is indeed dead and not somthing unrelated, as not had a dead box before so basically looking for somebody to say "yea bud sounds like you need a new box "then maybe a couple of suggestions of what boxes could be put in with minimal fuss and extra parts. Unfortunately I ain't got a grand spare so will be a second hand box for now and will keep my old one for possibles re build when funds allow. Cheers for the reply though :-)
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Aidan will repair your box for less than a grand I would think.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Aidan doesn't do the Aircooled boxes like the DK

parts have got more expensive so average job these days is a grand if it's faulty, look at what JK and TES and Heritage charge

take a look at the Bentley manual the whole job in there and there's some good threads on here where peeps have made the tools required to do the job themselves

markysparky71

Post by markysparky71 »

Hi Aidan
I'm really after a second opinion about he status of my van. Having read my post do you think I'm right in assuming my gearbox is trashed? 3 rd gear nothing but a grinding noise and other gears now have some metalic noise going on in the background, I haven't got the cash for a new rebuild at the minute so looking for a simple swap my gearbox is a DK with AAZ engine never swapped a gearbox but swapped my engine out last year is there anything I need to be cautious about buying a second hand gearbox that I would be to see? Thank you for any info
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

from your discriptions it doesn't sound good; dropping the oil will show the drainplug magnet and owt that is attached to it
any DK box will be more than 30 years old so history is everything really you want one that has the paperwork to show it was rebuilt by someone reputable otherwise it's just pot luck

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Best option in my option would be to upgrade to a slightly more modern used gearbox...still luck of the draw but at least it can be repaired a little easier....and will cope with the immense torque from the AAZ... :rofl

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

Found a DK sent email, dont know anything about it apart from its from a dealer so you may have grounds for compensation if its a dud

Very brave for taking on Hardknott Pass and hope you get it sorted
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

markysparky71

Post by markysparky71 »

Cheers guys picked up a used DK box dropped my box out last weekend dropped the oil and found the remnants of 3 rd gear within the oil and stuck to the magnet. Removed my diesel bel housing to fit to the new box. Also removed my diesel input shaft. Can I he'll get the petrol input shaft out is there a knack to it. I can't seem to slide the coged sleeve far enough up the shaft to split it. Also what's people's thought on replacing anything else during this phase I'm looking at clutch gasket for bell housing new spigot bearing anything else that's not too technical?? Looks like another busy weekend :ok
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

if you rotate the differential you will find a position where the big hole in it allows the sleeve to slide up just enough to undo it
top tip screw the grub screw back into the mainshaft before offering up the diesel input shaft, screw on till home then back off 10' and slide the sleve back down, new circlip everytime
there should be some wobble on unsupported input shaft

markysparky71

Post by markysparky71 »

Cheers Aidan my old box had a round hole which I used the space to bring the sleeve forward enough to split the shaft my new box however has a different shape hole more like a D shape creating less of a space! It must come off using this but hole but struggling to find that sweet spot! Will persevere again tonight!
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz