80-90 users with yahoo email addresses..

Important club/forum news & announcements, stolen vehicles plus information for newcomers.

80-90 users with yahoo email addresses..

Postby HarryMann » 25 Apr 2010, 16:41

Please note that you may not be getting email notifications of new posts, PMs and other notifications, or new members with yahoo addresses the confirmation emails, either for the forum or Full 80-90 membership

Yahoo email system is basically pants as well as several others that ride on its back The user very often is not aware how bad they are, but the sender frequently is well aware how transient, here one minute, notworky the next, they really are...

It causes us constant and immense hassle (with bounced undeliverables filling Admins' Inboxes for example) and frankly, together with other free mail accounts such as hotspam and gspam, we really would not allow them here at all if so many didn't already use them. We currently do not allow new registrations with gmail AFAIK...

End of rant about free email providers :|
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

80-90 Mem No: 379

Re: 80-90 users with yahoo email addresses..

Postby 1664 » 26 Apr 2010, 07:50

Oh...eer, sorry. I've a yahoo email account and never had a problem (to my knowledge). I do have my notification of PM's etc email option turned off though so maybe if people did that it might improve your lot?

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Postby HarryMann » 26 Apr 2010, 10:14

Yes, here and there we have suggested people turn off email notification, but it's becoming a bigger and bigger job corresponding with individuals on a whole range of admin and forum managament issues... and to be honest you can say something 100 times... but 'flaps over ears' seems a common condition these days :roll:

A General Post won't be read by very many... or dismissed as not applicable. All I can say is don't volounteer for Mocki's Membership Admin job !!
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Postby Hacksawbob » 26 Apr 2010, 19:36

la la la cant hear you :lol: I have found googlemail pretty solid, and not had an issue with yahoo either but then i guess you get a better cross section of reliability.
member 1168
Hacksawbob

80-90 Mem No: 1168

Postby HarryMann » 26 Apr 2010, 20:35

gmail is probably solid, but half the spammers in the world are on it... we've banned new applications on gmail and we can now get to bed before 2-00 a.m.
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Postby phredd » 05 May 2010, 11:09

My daughter uses a Yahoo address and we were having problems with it.
On investigation it seems that some servers WILL NOT accept an email from Yahoo with the .com (dotcom) at the end of the address.
Dont know if this is the problem.
Phredd
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
Membership No = 2626 @ Runcorn
IN ARDUIS FIDELIS.
phredd

Location: Doing 74mph down a dead end street. >>> in Runcorn.
80-90 Mem No: 2626

Postby 72BUG » 05 May 2010, 12:05

phredd wrote:My daughter uses a Yahoo address and we were having problems with it.
On investigation it seems that some servers WILL NOT accept an email from Yahoo with the .com (dotcom) at the end of the address.
Phredd

Hmmm I wonder. I have a Yahoo account ending in .co.uk and I always get my notifications without any problem.

You may be onto something there Phredd
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.
72BUG

80-90 Mem No: 7393

Postby ghost123uk » 20 May 2010, 11:21

72BUG wrote:
phredd wrote:My daughter uses a Yahoo address and we were having problems with it.
Phredd

Hmmm I wonder. I have a Yahoo account ending in .co.uk and I always get my notifications without any problem.

You may be onto something there Phredd

Same here, mine is .co.uk and I have never had a glitch of any sort (that I am aware of) in the 10+ years I have been using it. (I use it on around 6 other forums regularly as well)
Got a new van, but it's a 150bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here
ghost123uk

Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.
80-90 Mem No: 2585

Postby HarryMann » 20 May 2010, 11:30

Same here, mine is .co.uk and I have never had a glitch of any sort (that I am aware of) in the 10+ years I have been using it. (I use it on around 6 other forums regularly as well)

John,

We are often getting bounce/unreceived emails on your yahoo account here... :roll:

We have even found it necessary to inform you of this.

Perhaps, you were not aware, like if you don't receive something how do you know to expect it? :D

Rgds

HM
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Postby ghost123uk » 20 May 2010, 12:20

HarryMann wrote:

John,

We are often getting bounce/unreceived emails on your yahoo account here... :roll:

We have even found it necessary to inform you of this.

Perhaps, you were not aware, like if you don't receive something how do you know to expect it? :D

Rgds

HM

Oooh heck, yes sorry, I forgot about your pm to me re this :oops: :oops:

OK, I do have a BTinternet email I could use, but it occurs to me that as BTinternet is now part of the Yahoo system, does that mean that changing my email on here to my BT one would not help matters ?
Got a new van, but it's a 150bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here
ghost123uk

Postby HarryMann » 20 May 2010, 16:13

I really don't know.. maybe best to leave it for now, I think it's been some while since a problem with yours.. yahoo just seems to go through phases when a whole bunch of addresses hit problems
HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Postby bikermike87 » 28 Nov 2010, 20:04

HarryMann wrote:Please note that you may not be getting email notifications of new posts, PMs and other notifications, or new members with yahoo addresses the confirmation emails, either for the forum or Full 80-90 membership

Yahoo email system is basically pants as well as several others that ride on its back The user very often is not aware how bad they are, but the sender frequently is well aware how transient, here one minute, notworky the next, they really are...

It causes us constant and immense hassle (with bounced undeliverables filling Admins' Inboxes for example) and frankly, together with other free mail accounts such as hotspam and gspam, we really would not allow them here at all if so many didn't already use them. We currently do not allow new registrations with gmail AFAIK...

End of rant about free email providers :|

Hey,
I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs, but...
It's highly likely the IP range the clubs server is using falls under a "black list" category and has therefore been stopping emails to prevent spamming.
In order to overcome this, Yahoo! need to be aware the clubs emails are genuine and they wont receive complaints by allowing emails to go through.
This can be done by filling in a form and sending this to the clubs mail server and asking them to confirm to Yahoo! then genuine nature of the mails.
Furthermore, Yahoo! could also be sent this form along with the process for new people to the forum stating the fact users sign up to receive emails and can opt out via the forum.
I work for a company that uses Yahoo! as a piggy back mail server and most of my time is spent dealing with requests from Website admins who wish for there mails to be sent without being blocked. We affectively push for their IP range to be "Whitelisted". Yahoo! are pretty strict with Spammers, possibly too strict by stopping genuine people from time to time.

Hope this helps, if it is news to yourself, I will be happy to send you the full process :)

:ok
https://www.facebook.com/ChefCampers/
1991 Syncro Westfalia Atlantic 2.1MV
bikermike87

80-90 Mem No: 7559

Postby stupot73 » 29 Mar 2013, 22:23

I know this is an old thread but Yahoo has one again been hacked and only this week I have had clients email down because of it. Yahoo email was pants at the time the thread was written and it still is now.
Stuart / Norfolk / 1983 Air Cooled 2.0 Litre (Gutted Autohomes Kamper)
stupot73

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby ghost123uk » 30 Mar 2013, 08:39

Good example of how folks mileage varies. I have used Yahoo mail almost from the year it came out. I find it very good but I do have a strong (but not long = 8 characters including "symbols"). These email hacks are always a result of weak passwords. A bit on this HERE :shock:

The yahoo spam filter is also very good imho.

In recent years I have noticed that out of our customers, the email system that seems to cause the most problems is Microsoft's own one (Hotmail / Live) with Gmail being a close second. But again, it's all about passwords.
ghost123uk

Postby jokeruk » 12 Sep 2013, 15:11

To me - the answer is to ban the big free email providers (a few of the other forums i'm on do the same).

The easiest way to deal with it is just to have your own email address (eg. i use a few - leigh@leighjepson.co.uk, leigh@hosthigh.co.uk, leigh@2e0ldj.net etc) - which, with the right software on the server, can just automatically forward all email to an account of your choice. All it takes is about £3 ish a year for the domain name.

Simples :)

E D I T:: Oops, I didn't notice the post time - sorry for dragging up an old thread!
Regards,
Leigh

1992 1.9TD LLE in OrlyBlue
jokeruk

80-90 Mem No: 12272

Next

Return to Club Announcements, Info & Stolen Vehicles