Electric P.A.S.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Re: Electric P.A.S.

Post by eatcustard »

Ian and Lins wrote:I know this ones gone on a bit; but has anyone fitted a 'twiddly knob' type thingy to their steering wheel. Fork lift truck steering knob that costs a couple of quid and bolts straight on. Was thinking of getting one myself and then found out that pumping up the front tyres didn't half improve things.

Make sure you are moving when you turn your steering wheel :ok

as Barry has said over inflating your tyres is dangerous
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

vwsub 7 eatcustard are right, but "Over inflated" is relative term. Don't use more pressure then maximum specification on tyre. The best tire pressure is when tire has best traction... and that will vary depending on load and road conditions. Example is race cars will often change pressure by 1/2 psi for maximum performance.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

vwsub
Trader

Post by vwsub »

Hi to you all
As to the manic demand on my steering I have now updated the website on what you get in the kit.
If you go to http://www.vwsub.webeden.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and go to products and Hercules kit it’s all there
Merry Christmas
Barry
VWSUB

vwsub
Trader

Post by vwsub »

Hi
Just to let you no we have now put a video on our website of the Hercules steering in action.
Go to
http://www.vwsub.webeden.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then go to gallery and it will drop down a menu, go to videos
Many thanks
Trudi
VWSUB
MERRY XMAS

Bad Dragon
80-90 Mem No: 6631

Post by Bad Dragon »

Hello to you all,

I red this topic with some disturbance. And excuse my bad english and so.

First, there are three companies who sell a powersteering device. And all three arent tested in an official way. If it was, it would be on the housing and on the website. So, clear, that fact is done. Maybe they will be tested once in the future, but not at this moment.

Second, is the point of who has the best product? I dont know, I cant know or all three of them give me their product and I will test it in my van with just me behind the wheel and with everything the same except the three different devices. Then I can say which is to my opinion the best.
However, can I be objective? I talked to Barry and to Tim on Vanfest. And with Tim about the powersteering he had with him.
So even then I am maybe a bit subjective. Because I do talked to the different persons in question.

Third, and this is my personal opinion at this moment!!!!
I am very impressed by the professionality of the products I did see on Vanfest from both Tim and Barry, or Barry and Tim. And If I had the money, they would have me as their customer, because I really trust them as a mechanic. And I think, I do know something about cars.
See my website http://www.e30-ringteam.nl
And because of my illness I have to quit with this kind of driving.

Fourth, I, like written somewhere as well, did make my choice on the product of Tim because of the following facts;

1. His product was on display at Vanfest and ready to be sold. ( I did not see the product of Barry, otherwise I had a different point of view during the period of choosing )
2. I was impressed by the simple and solid construction of the product.
3. Tim is using proved and tested materials from a highly recommended car manufactur in Germany, in which cars I believe they are good.
4. The price is good for me.
5. As I had no other knwoledge of different products, for me he was the only one who could deliver me a working product. ( This wasnt true, but that was just my lack of knowledge )
6. As I still suffer more and more to the fact that I less and less have the power to control my steering wheel during parking I decided not to wait any longer and buy the product I knew and know is good for me in quality and price.

As I told Barry and Trudi before, If I had known more AND had the money for it , the decicion could be deifferent, but still I am not sure.
But If I had the money, I think we all could buy all the goodies we really would like to have.

So, I will buy the product of Tim and will get it on the 24th, so it is my Christmas present. And I think I will be very happy with it.

And the end of my psersonal story is, that if I will have the money in the future, I will go to Tim and Barry and let them make my van the most beautiful and powerfull Van you ever see. Untill that moment, I will keep on dreaming of all the things I would like to have.

Tim and Barry/Trudi or Barry/Trudi and Tim, thank you for make the products I can dream on.

Greetings from Robert
Robert aka Bad Dragon
VWT3 2WD Greenlane Style
Member of the Dragonriders
http://www.bad-dragon.nl
Dragonriders Travel

Bad Dragon

Post by Bad Dragon »

Hello you all,

I did bought a powersteering from Tim. Bought when I was going to Wales and today I started with mounting it in my Van.

First I had to remove the old Steerinn Colom and then put everything over on the PS one. No problem there.
Only the security bolts were a bit dificult and took some time. But within a 45 minutes that was managed.
Then a hour break.
Then after the removing of the mid console I could adjust the heater housing a bit and then I could start fitting the PS Colom. And it fits.
Now again a hour brake.
After this break I will go out and remove the PS Colom, because I forgot the Rubber thingy on the bottom. And I will make some wires a bit better in order to have it all made well.
Then I just have to lift the dashboard cowl and mount the two wires there. And find a spot to have the two wires that will go to the back of the car can go through. This will be done today and I hope tomorrow I can do the last part under the car.

As much of you know I cant work long and have to take brakes all the time. Well in the cold here it is even worse. So I said to myself, I will do it in two days. But I think that if I was healthy and it wasnt that cold, I could do it within the four hours Tim says it will take. Until now I didnt have any problems.

Photo's and more will follow.

Greetings from Robert
Robert aka Bad Dragon
VWT3 2WD Greenlane Style
Dragonriders Travel

Bad Dragon

Post by Bad Dragon »

Hello you all,

As promised, the results of the day. Tomorrow I just need to mount one wire for the inner part of the job and then I go underneath the car and mount the speedsensor and the cable towards it. And of course do some fitting of the small adjustments I had to make about some switches.

Greetings from Robert
the old colom
The new colom and trying to measure what and how much I had to remove from the Heater compartiment. And how about my switches
And this is how it has been mounted.
Tomorrow the final pictures how it looks and how the ECU is fitted will be shown here. At least that is what I hope.
Robert aka Bad Dragon
VWT3 2WD Greenlane Style
Dragonriders Travel

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Ian and Lins wrote:I know this ones gone on a bit; but has anyone fitted a 'twiddly knob' type thingy to their steering wheel. Fork lift truck steering knob that costs a couple of quid and bolts straight on. Was thinking of getting one myself and then found out that pumping up the front tyres didn't half improve things.

Yup, have one on mine and I don't struggle with the steering. I developed a weakness in my right elbow some years back and the steering knob helped a lot. However, you cannot legally have one without a doctors prescription. I confess to flouting this but it makes cornering a breeze compared to the usual shuffle sequence with a straight wheel. Also make a difference what sort of wheels and tyres you have ofcourse but I'd rather drive with the assister than not. Does help certainly - found it was best mounted at 2 o'clock.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Bad Dragon

Post by Bad Dragon »

Hello you all,

Today I finished all the wiring in the van and have already the wire for the speed sensor through the rubber. It is ready to fit under the car.
So after lunch I will get some serious clothing for the cold and go under the car. For fitting the Speed sensor and ring. And hopefully I do have enough lenght for the lenght of the van.

I tested the colom without power and it wasnt heavier then the standard one, and with power, it was great, no force needed to have it going round and round.
Absolutly great.

More to come later on.

Greetings from Robert
Robert aka Bad Dragon
VWT3 2WD Greenlane Style
Dragonriders Travel

Bad Dragon

Post by Bad Dragon »

Hello folks,

Well it has been done, it is mounted. And the result is enormous. You can turn the wheel with your pinky and if you are driving you feel more resistance. But still it is light as a feather compare to the normal steering.

Here are some pictures how it looks when ready.

The last pictures I will put on tomorrow.

Greetings from Robert
Robert aka Bad Dragon
VWT3 2WD Greenlane Style
Dragonriders Travel

dj biz r
80-90 Mem No: 8022

Post by dj biz r »

crickey what a thread .i was looking @ one of these systems seems a great idea .but considering van buggered @ mo and no dosh ez disition ! however when the bitch is running think i,ll do what ian said early on tyre pressure ,and if you cant paralell park be creative ,not in test but use the pavement drop in .as some one said after nearly hitting me "it,s 4 wheel drive"yeah you prick this is a pavement i,m a peddestrian.mind how you go...