T25 1.9 TD Oil leak/Breather pipe thingy...

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vwt25

T25 1.9 TD Oil leak/Breather pipe thingy...

Post by vwt25 »

Hi,
I’ve recently brought a 1.9TD converted T25, and its seems oil is coming out the breather pipe and dripping on the axel, thus covering everything in oil, including the back of the van due to its brick aerodynamics.....

My local garage said it’s just because the engine is slightly leaning over ( to make it fit the engine bay I presume) and they’re not sure what to suggest apart from moving the breather pipe a bit to stop it blowing out so much.

Is this a common problem, or has the conversion just been bodged, anyone know if it’s an easy fix, or a good garage that could sort it or anyone in the TN postcode area that knows what they’re doing want to do it for some cash ?

Should the engine be leaned over, or has it been bodged badly etc

Or have a brought a piece of s**t problem do you think ?

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

H-G
80-90 Mem No: 7142

Re: T25 1.9 TD Oil leak/Breather pipe thingy...

Post by H-G »

I have an AAZ fitted to my van with all of the AAZ breathers fitted. No problems with the oil being sprayed everywhere.

When the conversion was done, was the oil level on the dip stick 'reset'? If not, you are likely to be overfilling it and therefore the excess is being blown out (there is also a danger of the engine running on its own oil in certain conditions!!).

If the JX dipstick was used it doesn't go into the sum far enought as the AAZ block is a little taller. You would need to drain the sump and refill with 4.5 litres (can't remember if this is with and oil filter change or not) of oil and let it settle for 10mins. Check the oil as normal, but you will then need to remark the dipstick with the 'new' level.

Even if you are using the AAZ dipstick you will need to do this (although I'm not sure the AAZ stick will be long enough) as it is marked to check the oil level on an upright engine.

Other things to check are that the cap on the cam cover is clean and and not blocked along with the pipes etc.

You may also want to let people know where you are; you would be amazed what people will do in return for a cuppa and biscuit!

vwt25

Post by vwt25 »

Hi, thanks for the reply, exactly what I've done, did a bit more research/googling and came up with the same. so far so good and i'm sure the drivers behind me appreciate not being covered in oil anymore! no doubt I'll be on here with a load more questions.... as looking at getting a basket case t2 by the summer as a project...

VWGeoff
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by VWGeoff »

One piece of advice for you,from an owner of another owner of a T25 with AAZ engine. Change garage as they obviously don`t have a clue what their talking about. I agree with the above, drain the oil from sump. Get a cheap plastic kitchen jug from wilkos(make sure you get one with 500ml marked on it some where) And refill the oil after filter change to 4.5 litres. If the jug is 1 litre with half full mark better still (less than a pound in wilkos, put it in your shed). Centre punch the dipstick(both sides) when left to settle for 30 mins. Then you know it`s full mark on dipstick.

Domb18
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Domb18 »

Hi there. I know this is an old thread bit I'm hoping you guys are still on the forum. I am a new owner (87 T25 vanagon, AAZ) and am having same issue. I would like to ensure mine isn't over filled too. I have an oil cooler radiator fitted to my van, would this alter the amount of oil that the van should have in? There needs to be sufficient to get to front of van to cooler and back?
Many thanks
Dominic

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Any oil cooler fitted to any engine will mean a higher fill volume, otherwise there is a risk of the oil pump suction tube gulping air when cornering/braking hard and then the oil pressure goes to zero...
A front mounted oil cooler will add about a litre or so to the total fill, but it depends on the length and bore of the hoses.
The dipstick needs to be correct of course and once the system is full you should check the level immediately after switching the engine off (with a warm engine)
The time it takes to stroll from cab to the hatch and pick up a clean rag, wipe the dipstick and re-check will give you a true indicator of sump level.
Oil cooler systems tend to hold their oil volume in the short term thanks to capilliary action (especially of thermostatically controlled).

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk