Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Re: Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

Post by dickspanner »

Believe it of not I still have the crewcab.

It failed its MOT on a brake master cylinder fault.

As I have now moved across to France it is still sat locked in my unit with no MOT even though the piece to fit is sat with my mechanic.

As soon as I can get him to it, he will fit part and then I can MOT it and get it back up for sale.

DS
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Well the crewcab has been stored in my lock up while i have been living in france and now i have a job back in the Uk i have been pondering what to do with crewcab.

Decisions made.

It is with a heavy heart i have decided to keep the crewcab but transformer it back to original.

The cosworth engine and all associated installed parts are being removed and replaced.

I have purchased a full camper with a JX 1.6Td power plant which is currently being stripped. Shame really as it was a good camper. I am going to sell the rolling shell on ebay to recover some costs. It has a good pop top so should go for a nice sum.

Cosworth engine, box, fuel tank with swirlpot, exhausts, wiring cradle everything ready to bolt into something else will be sold on.
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Photo's and update to follow.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Camper stripped. Few bits missing off Jx engine which i need to aquire before i rebuild it.

In the mean time, just replacing all 4 wheel bearings and all brakes during this rebuild. New back plates, linings, drums, discs, flex hoses, cylinders.

Cosworth powerplant being removed next weekend and donor camper going up for sale.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Post by mm289 »

Glad to see your still around, that'l be a bit of a shock to the system, from the Cossie t a 1.6JX :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers,

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

I think it is going to be aweful to be honest. I am going from 230bhp to 70bhp.

I have decided to get it on the road and drive it around for a while, if it just does not work for me i may have to sell it. But as a mint stock motor it should draw more money. I suppose as the cosworth power plant scared people off.

The cosworth set up will be offered up on here for sale as a complete install with everything you need to stick in in another van then if it does not sell on here will go on ebay to resist temptation of me fitting it into some other project.

There may still be a couple of people on here who can validity the power the installation had.

Photos will follow if a can remember how to unload them.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Evening.

Well it is finally done.

This weekend had been spent removing everything Cosworth from the crewcab.

All those who followed this thread and contributed Thankyou.

I am going to put the full install in the for sale section on this forum. If you are interested then there are a few people who have been out in it and can described the power.

If you want this set up in your vehicle it will be supplied with everything including fuel tank with mounted pump and swirlpot pot. All you have to do is bolt it in place, connect + and - and switched supply to additional cosworth harness, connect fuel and you are good to go. It would benifit from a VSS but apparently can be bypass by connection rev counter pulse to VSS input and it will prevent the occasional stall as you come to traffic lights. I never did it as it never bothered me.

There are no hidden extras you need, no working out problem as everything is done for you. I will even come with recon box and modified shifter. The full build history is in this thread as well for guidance.

I am even going to give a BOB set of manifolds with a full LPG gas conversion so all you would need for the full gas conversion would be to change the tank as it has a wheel well cylindrical tank as this was fitted to the cosworth I purchased it from.

Hopefully when next at the lock up I will get the 1.6 Td Jx engine up and running.

Just got to remember how to post pictures.

Cheers.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

well I hope someone else is minded to stick it in a van :ok

tractor engine is so not the way to go, ffs sake put a GTi 4 pot in at least mate

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Aiden, it is going to be a killer after driving with that powerplant in it. But it is back to all original now and if I sell it the potential buyer market has been expanded.

I am planning on trying it around Scotland to see if I can live with it. If not it may be replaced with T5 sportline or I may experts it to France.

How is things pal, not spoke for a long g time. Drop me a Pm.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Aidan not Aiden mate.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Aidan,

Engine is out as a whole unit.

Took out the Cosworth engine, KEP conversion, 4 speed box, full wiring harness and exhausts and all mountings.

Someone who wants 230bhp in their van can just bolt it all in and off they go. All the work is done.

The wiring is positive, negative and ignition switched live. (plus what ever dials you want in the dash)

It is a shame as it was a fantastic conversion which you could not even tell had been done.

Biggest problem is most people are stove piped into the suburu route.

It will be going on ebay this week as well as the camper I took the diesel engine from and then the crewcab shortly after as I have some very big bills to pay.

Suppose it will allow me to concentrate on my 67 Cooper now.

I was in two minds to keep it for a cobra kit car I will eventually build, but that will not be for quite a while.

It has been emotional.

:D

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

andy1300gt
New user
80-90 Mem No: 16231

Post by andy1300gt »

Has it all gone?

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Well back in the lock up and the crewcab is sat waiting for an engine. I bought a full camper for the TD engine.

Took out everything Cosworth which broke my heart and it is all sat on a pallet with me trying to work out what to do with it all.

Installed the TD, turbo seal failed and basically destroyed the engine.

So I am left with a camper outside my lock up which I used for parts and am now selling.

A blown engine sat on floor.

Cossy set up Sat on floor.

Debating what to do with it as want to get rid of my unit and the thing stopping me is the stuff inside.

Do I sell the crewcab as is and not get much for it.

Do I install a new motor (again) and sell it as a stock crewcab and get big money for it

Do I do the above but keep it as it is the mintest t25 crewcab I have ever seen.

I keep looking for a replacement motor but only with occasional interest as my heart and passion has gone from the project and I am now working on my 68 mini Cooper race car project.

Something has to happen with it as it can just stay in the corner under dust sheets.

A very unhappy dickspanner with a crewcab powered by a lump of plastacine.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

why not stick the 2.9 back in, keep or sell.
why take it out in the first place?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

One of the main reasons was due to me thinking of selling it for maximum value and letting someone else put it in their T25.

The crewcab is in such good condition that with a stock motor it will sell for top money. With the cosworth engine installed the market of potential buyers is very narrow.

The main challenge was to install and run it which I did.

Another factor was I was going to export it to France where I now live and modified vehicles are a no. With a stock motor it could be registered in France and CT'd without issues.

Never say never, it is all sat and can be installed in less than a day if required I suppose.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner