Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

Post by Aidan »

at least tax it and take it to the french shows this summer :ok

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Post by dickspanner »

Hello Aidan,

Sadly not, I have now returned to France and she is on ebay on a 10 day listing.

I know I am going to regret selling her as I have not seen a cleaner crewcab. I read posts on here with people doing engine conversions etc and look back through this post. Do I regret it......Not at all. Do I love the end result. Hell yeah, she is a beast and very fast.

If someone wanted a mint crewcab and was a purist they could buy it, put a oil burner back in very easily as everything is a straight swap out, sell the cosworth conversion to another VW man and have a mint original crewcab.

I really did think about converting it back as it would go for a lot more money but I did not have the time to do it. I know if someone wanted the conversion for their own van they could buy it, swap everything over and sell the crewcab on again for more money getting the full cosworth conversion for nothing and saving themself the hard work.

I have been looking at vehicles over here and think I may do something over here but it will have to be a very discrete conversion, say a engine rebuild, a bore out, fast cam etc. I do really like the Citreon H4 vans. I have a massive workshop now (a big 16m x 6m barn) with all my gear in and long summer warm/hot days to tinker. LOL.

How are things with you pal, hows the gearbox building, still stacked out?

Anyhow, this will be the end of this thread once she is sold. I hope everyone who has followed it has enjoyed it and taken inspiration that you can put whatever engine you want in a T25 and there are some very knowledgeable guys on here who give good advice and encourage you when things do not go smoothly.

Final Advice

If you are going to do something that is not the simple conversion lots have people have done before be ready to spend a lot of time and energy on your project. Be prepared for a lot of frustration, a lot of hissy fits where spanners are thrown against walls, take out shares in a coffee company as their sales will sore with the amount you will drink. But above all be prepared for the pride you will have when you take it to a show and get the merecat effect like mine did at tatton park. Every single time I fired here up everybody within a large (very large) radius just stopped what they were doing, stood up and looked around.

I have done a lot of car conversions, restorations and modification before but this was my first T25 and looking back I have really enjoyed it and created something original and quite unique. Whoever buys it will have a on going conversion that they will modify, change, update, upgrade etc but they have a rock solid vehicle that has had no expense spared in the building.

Cheers

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Sure is Smosh.

Sad to see her go but times change and I can not get a Control Technique for her in France so I can not use her over here.

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

Nice looking van! You'll have to get the new owner on here. I haven't read this thread through yet, I am looking forward to reading it retrospectively though.
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Smosh,

If I was keeping her the next job would be to get Adrian to build me the perfect box for the engine.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the box in it at the moment and it is very quick (In the land of T25s) but if you had a very tall set of final gears she would cruise all day at any speed on the motorway at very low rpm. I would request a very low RPM at 70mph as the engine has buckets of Torque and would pull it along easily. She is running around 210bhp.

We have lit the tyres up, in fact Adrian was in van where we hit the loud pedal a few times a few years ago. When on the motorway I accelerated in the fast lane and the power did not back off at all. I would imagine it would be easy to take it off the speedo (apparently).............

I will tell the new owner to join the forum. Afterall the owners of endangered species have to stick together. :ok

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

who this Adrian bloke ?

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

That is me being a tard pal.

I have a head full of cotton wool at times. Accept my sincere apologies and I grovel at the gearbox alter for forgiveness.

Aidan is the man for gearboxes and replace the previous name with the correct name. :oops: :D :ok

Do I have an excuse.....erm......... no! just a little tardyness

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

:lol:

I blame the fallout

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

I blame the red wine pickling my brain. :D

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

faggie

Post by faggie »

any pics of your new house and barn as been thinking of moving to france myself

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Faggie,

I am just trying to get my photobucket account reactivated. Once I have done this I will upload a couple of photos for you.

France is a huge place, it depends on what kind of life you want to live. Town, Hamlet, countryside. Budget. Type of house, finished, renovation, derelict etc.

I spent a couple of years looking for my place and looked at 200+ properties before I found mine. My budget increased dramatically when I saw what was originally in my budget.

Have a look on internet at houses for sale in France with a budget in mine and some search parameters.

If you choose to do it, good luck. I did it and do not regret a single thing.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Nice to hear you are still about..
I was in the back with Aidan when the tyres were lit.. LOL....
Good luck with the sale..

As you can see in the tag line.. I have my workshop too... :wink:

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Hello pal,

Hoped you would drop in.

Workshop sounds good, hope it is working out for you.

Sadly the crewcab has to go but it will pay off a few bills.

I did drive it a little before I returned to France is she is blinding. Someone will get a very nice vehicle if she passes the reserve. A mate will handle sale for me if it goes through.

PM me your personal address and we can have a chat off line.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

The crewcab did not hit its reserve on ebay even though it had over 7000 views and 400 watchers

I have put it for sale on this forum before it is relisted on ebay in a weeks time.

PM me if you are interested in it.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner