Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Cosworth 2.9litre in my Crewwy

Post by dickspanner »

Hi folks

Not been on for a while but have just farmed through all V6 threads again.

I have gone and done it, I have bought the Granada Cosworth donar car. The 2.9 injection 24v V6 is the daddy. I just need some simple advice at first:

I have looked at websites which advertise kits etc and have noted I need the following;

Reinforced clutch
Engine carrier
oil cooler
water thermostat 71°
Mounting guidelines
enlarged throttle control cable
Flywheel 228 mm
new reinforced starter
changed gearbox bell housing
reinforced water pump
exhaust

Before I get bummed on the price is there anybody out there who can tell me information about the parts, eg morris marina parts fit a S2 lotus espri. Oh a flywheel from a blah will do the same and you can pic a recon one up for £15, that sort of info please.

Fabricating the exhaust is problem free as I want stainless side blowers anyhow. Engine mounting plate, should be able to fabricate one as I have diesel turbo one to start with as templete etc

All the tricky stuff like brain, engine controls, fuel injection etc are easy as done this kind of management swap before in other cars etc.

Should I also be looking at upgrading the brakes and suspension, the crewwy is lowered by 60mm at present.

Cheers in advance for the info guys as I want to start the project and get it finished before winter.

P.S. Leather electric front seats are cool, working out if I can get rear leather seats in as well.

P.P.S. Anybody seen a ragtop conversion for these things, like old army trucks used to have in 60's, metal hoops and canvas covers... :D

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Has anybody on here actually done the ford V6 into a T25 conversion rather than just bought one?
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

I have to say I haven't - but that's quite a pig iron to put out behind the gearbox, isn't it?

I've seen a few Cossie conversions and the one thing I'll say is that you're going to be making the mountings and bracketry yourself - it's not a common conversion, so there's only really the adaptor plate on the shelf. The rest is up to you and the 'rest' is one hell of a lot!
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

Macflai
80-90 Mem No: 4201

Post by Macflai »

Hi!
When I was in Bining, France in a Syncro meeting from the people from a german Syncro 16" forum, there was a guy who was driving a T3 camper with a Cosworth conversion, the sound was really nice and powerfull but I didn`t ask him about what engine if straight or V one... The thing was that was the fastest T3 in Germany, a top speed of 235kms/h or so with a Porsche gearbox in it...
Maybe you can ask in that forum... :wink:
Also Christoph Boltze from Vw_pix.org knows about the conversion... ask him also...
Victor Diaz
'86 Syncro 14" Westfalia
Canary Islands

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Brackets and stuff are not a problem and buying the kit is not a problem, I just wanted to know if anybody knew of parts off other vehicles that would do the same job and cost me alot less.

I would like to use the flywheel, clutch and starter off the cossy motor and modify the bell housing to fit if possible. I think I am going to have to take the gearbox out of the crewwy and see what I can do, I have a guy who will do any bell houseing mods necessary etc.

Porshe gearbox, the thought makes me shudder, the cost makes me sweat like Gary Glitters 'No win No fee' Soliciter.

I am sure that time and money will tell.

I have sorted out the stainless pipe for the exhausts and I am going to have twin side pipes on the we beasty like on the Cobra. These pipes should hopefully be straight from the cossy manifolds.

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

neil

Post by neil »

dh is correct
i done this conversion 2 years back its one hell of a job.
my van had 257bhp at the wheels and went like stink.
engine mountings use the cosworth ones.
make your own beam across the 2 of em.
electrical well it a nightmare, but you can get rid of loads of crap on the loom you dont need.
somewhere on the net is a web site fitting the v6 to a sierra on it is a wiring diagram, follow it you cant go "cock" up.
gearbox used 2 litre ac one its more than up to the job.
exhaust is hell if yours is coming out the side god help you.
i had to build a system from the back to the front and back to the back with three boxes and it still sounds like a sonic boom.
starter motor is also a nightmare the 2 l ac one will burn out in a matter of weeks.
the standard rad from the diesel i used was up to the job.
good luck mate.
NEIL

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

plate

Post by billy739 »

i put a 3 litre essex int the rear of a shortened beetle a number of years ago.
the adapter plate was 3 inches thick and meant i used the ford flywheel ,clutch and starter. not quite the same engine but similar idea

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

Just as an update.

I am now getting to the bottom of all the ins and outs of sticking the Cosworth motor in my Crewcab.

I am on the brink of ordering the conversion kit.

The Cosworth car is sat awaiting to be stripped and the Crewcab is sat waiting to have the 5speed gearbox replaced with a 4speed air cooled.

If all goes to plan, I should have all the work done by Christmas including a full respray etc.

I am not starting the work until I have finished and sold my Mini.

I will keep you guys informed when it starts and how it is going. I will also make a full blown website dedicated to the conversion.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Dickspanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

mr_bricolage
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mr_bricolage »

I shall keep my eyes open for that website.

dickspanner

Post by dickspanner »

I presume all this 'tom and harry' is because my posting name is a bit risky. As long as nobody thinks I am one half of a gay couple called tom and harry.

cheers

Mr D Spanner

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

Horza
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by Horza »

I did wonder but was too shy to say anything.

It looks like your going it alone a bit though I'm sure folk here will be glad to offer their tuppence worth when you need it. It will be good to see how it goes, I do like a good conversion story. Much luck.
Euan

Economic migrant, cultural extremist and religious bigot.

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

You've never heard of KING D I C K brand spanners?

Shame on you!
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

Fastbus

Post by Fastbus »

If you use the Aircooled box and still retain the standard style starter motor, you will be able to use a high torque starter which will happliy turn over the cossie engine.

If you buy it from the USA you will save something in the region of £80 - £100 for a high torque starter. As for the Aircooled box, don't be fooled in thinking it will last.
When i had completed my old 3.6 911 powered bus i managed to use 7 boxes in 9 months use. I was doing loads of drag racing though :lol:

If your looking for a long distance runner you will need to lenghten the ratios to compensate a lower engine speed.

Good luck and good choice of conversion!

:)

g60steve
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g60steve »

neil wrote: i done this conversion 2 years back its one hell of a job.
my van had 257bhp at the wheels and went like stink.

:shock: ..when i got the van off you Neil i had muchos fun in it :D but then i sold it to Pete...he rolling roaded it at 204BHP on petrol and 174BHP on LPG....both at the flywheel!....where does the 257BHP at the wheels come into it?...or did you have the old laughing gas plumbed in at sometime :wink:

The Cossy 24V engine you used was a 195BHP(engine code BOB)without all the useless electronic gubbins...wasn't it?

Oh and that DK box was screaming out for help the last i heard :shock:

neil

Post by neil »

yes steve i give it a go on the laughing gas for a few weeks but the cost was murder.
when i had it the box was fine and dont forget i used it for work every day for over a year.

i would still use air cooled box because of cost.
but there again i wouldnt do a conversion again it nearly was divorce.

no joke it takes over your life and its not worth it my advice is stick with a standard engine and have a life. :wink: