Big Daves 1.7ky-1Y Motor Conversion Thread!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

covdubber

Re: Big Daves 1.7ky-1Y Motor Conversion Thread!

Post by covdubber »

colinthefox big thanks chap! i can weld so thats the route i'll be going cause i'm 3/4 irish & a bit tight with the wallet on things like this :OD

actually thinking about i have some rubber oil hose which would fit over that vacuum pump piece a treat! & if the generic non-return valve is a stiffer type of tube then could i jubille clip the two together, do you think that would work? or would that vacuum pump create a fair amount of vacuum & collapse the rubber pipe???

i did not konw that diesels did'nt creat vacuum, so if you have a vacuum leak where the non return valve jons the vac pump it could in essance cause some oil pressure probs could it???

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

oooh what size socket do i require for the injectors?

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

if you are carefull you can tap out the vaccum valve out of the plate from your old engine and refit it into the 1y plate.i did this when i snapped mine off :oops:
you need to be carefull though.on refitting it i used a tapered punch to open the end up so it was tight and i seem to remember that the 1y plate was thinner and i had to grind the tube down on the under side of the plate.but mine was a 1.6 d not a 1.7 d
Last edited by weldore on 22 Aug 2010, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

weldore

Post by weldore »

that bit had a blanking plate on it on my 1.6 d but on the 1y it had a breather pipe that bolted onto it and went up to the top of the engine(somewhere..cant think at the mo)
but im sure pete used the blanking plate from his 1.7 when he did the swap so it wasnt needed(i think)

weldore

Post by weldore »

ahh thats where the pipe went to.on the rockercover..the breather pipe went to the right side opening on the rocker breather cap.
i left it on when i did mine..and the other side of the rocker breather cap i fed the 2 into one breather pipes from the air box on the 1.6 d inlet manifold into the cap there

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

big thanks conlinthefox & weldore!

esspessialy about the hole in my block which should have a breather, i think i'll blank it off to be honest!
i'll update tomorrow on my 1y venture LOL

weldore

Post by weldore »

i removed all the multiplugs and set it up as per the 1.6 d
also changed all the coolant housings to suit my old set up as these had the sensors fitted to them too

weldore

Post by weldore »

do you know about the dipstick yet?
and what are you doing about the water pump and alternator pulley system?

weldore

Post by weldore »

the breather pipe you are missing should be part 7a-2a(the middle one)

weldore

Post by weldore »

havnt read through all of your posts but you do know about changing the sump over ?.. and you will need a new gasket for this too.i suggest dumping the windage tray and just using a new standard gasket.i couldnt get the sump to gearbox bolts to line up with the windage tray in.

theres a lot of bits you will need from the 1.7 to make it work..youll see :mrgreen:

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

yep i gotta change the sump, oil pickup/pump, intake 7 exhaust manifolds & some other bits n bobs

A question???? the spigot/ppiolet bearing that go's on the end of the crank on the 1y motor for the t25 gearbox shaft to sit into how is best to install it?
is tapping it in gently with a socket of the correct size/same diameter ok?

i picked up the bits bobs i need for the motor this morning so i'll get on with some bits tomorrow & pop up pics & ramblings!

Has anyone any hints/tips of how to remove the glow plugs without removing the 1y diesel pump? i think the small nut is 5mm & the glowplug itself 12mm but space its "TIGHT"

cheers all for help so far really appreciated!

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

aye tap spigot bearing in with suitable socket, make sure it goes in beyond flush, should be recessed by 1.6mm when it reaches the stop, if it's flush and you have the shouldered input shaft it can run with the shoulder against the bearing outer race which isn't good, lube with moly grease

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

Aidan cheers chap, i'll take your advice onboard as your the gearbox chap aint-cha!

right i'll aim for 1.6mm!!! recessed! the grease you've onbout is that CV grease? i have a tub if "shell" grease i use for bearings etc, i have copper-ease & graphite CV grease so one of them should do the jon :)

had a bit of luck today i went up to the breakers where i got the 1y motor & the guy "gave" me the engine breather setup weldore has kindly posted pics off!plus a dipstick which was missing when i got the motor which i dont need hey...........the thought was there!

i also had to get an diesel injector as when i took off one of the rubber pipes the little metal pipe/barb it fits too came off with it!!! but the guy at the breakers gave me that too! & its a clean looking one too so should be ok!

gotta crack on & do some work to fit new parts tomorrow as i need to get it buttoned up this week as i may have a chance to put the bugger in the t25 next week!!!! aslong as i can fit in getting the motor prepped & all the bits i need for the vehicle

what wires do i need to hook up & leave on the pump i'm a bit confused if i have a immobiliser type pump i have to fiddle with or not :? HELP!!!

pics to follow folks

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Here's that vacuum pump mod. Don't forget your brakes will rely on it so it had better be OK! That's proper thick vacuum tube with a JK supplied generic non-return valve.

1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

covdubber

Post by covdubber »

superb colin! i forgot the non-return valve today! bugger! i'll get one tomorrow unless there is one in my garage somewhere!
your pic is spot-on! cheers col