Low Emissions Zone (LEZ)

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Silky
80-90 Mem No: 8535

Re: Low Emissions Zone (LEZ)

Post by Silky »

Westy End wrote:
LEZ is only relevant if you are driving a diesel - petrol and other fuels are all exempt.

So if someone in a diesel lives inside or uses an LEZ, it would be a better option to get an LPG conversion rather than the diesel modification required for exemption? Cheaper and also a pay back in fuel economy. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, unless I'm missing something obvious....

Silky
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will p.iss off enough people to make it worth the effort

paulo999
80-90 Mem No: 9365

Post by paulo999 »

Silky wrote:
Westy End wrote:
LEZ is only relevant if you are driving a diesel - petrol and other fuels are all exempt.

So if someone in a diesel lives inside or uses an LEZ, it would be a better option to get an LPG conversion rather than the diesel modification required for exemption? Cheaper and also a pay back in fuel economy. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, unless I'm missing something obvious....

Silky

I used to assume this, then got the idea that an LPG job isn't quite so much a conversion, more an augmentation - I.e. you can run on either fuel. Is that right? And how do the LEZ rules interpret it? If they accept conversions that are dual fuel, could you pop a thimble LPG 'tank' on and be considered 'no longer diesel'? Hmm.

(Just hypothesising. I'm on petrol. Inside the LEZ. No worries, apart from the err fuel costs ;) )

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Re:

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Silky wrote:
Titus A Duxass wrote: As a tourist you will not get an exemption certificate for German cities, they are only given out if you meet certain requirements.

Does this rule out the Berlin show for anyone in a diesel?

Silky

No, the Berlin show is not in the city of Berlin, it's on an old airbase just south of the city.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

Update - all is now well. I sent the covering letter and the LOG book - DVLA have updated it and now my vehicle is not subject to the LEZ on the TfL website. And relax.
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Not that it affects me directly, but I have heard that TFL are tightening the net on applications for "Motor Caravan" conversions and will only consider "officially" converted vehicles by recognised companies. Could give a bit of grief to homebrews.
I guess it's a response to builders re-registering filthy old Transits as campers to avoid the rules?

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

It's not TFL who deal with that, it's DVLA. It is harder to to do now though, for example mine probably wouldn't be allowed as it does not have a fixed kitchen. Lucky it was changed 6 years ago :D Or I might have been putting in one of those gti engines (probably a lot damn cheaper than going JX - AAZ - AFN :lol: )
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Donno mate I live out in the fields here :mrgreen:
It's all for city folk...

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

my road is the boundry :roll: i'm in it people opposite aren't

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Ever seen or read "The Meaning of Liff" by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd? The definitions of "Sutton and Cheam" and "Woking" make for an interesting comparison! Strangely appropriate to this thread right now :wink:

janieh
80-90 Mem No: 7991

Post by janieh »

Hi All

Hurray! :D I've finally managed to get my van marked as exempt from the LEZ. It's been a right palaver!

Even though mine is a westy, it was originally marked down as a van rather than motorcaravan in the VC5. I sent all the paperwork to the DVLA and they changed the type to motorcaravan but didn't enter the weight. (they said they only normally enter GVW for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes). Anyway, I managed to get them to enter the weight from a photo of my VIN plate - it's 2,460kg so I was a bit worried they might round it up and say it was 2.5 tonnes... but no. Finally, the TfL website recognises my van as being exempt. Very relieved as I live in Brixton and would have had to pay the fine every time I drove anywhere.

hope everyone else affected has managed to resolve this. :ok
J
1998 Westfalia Club Joker, 1.6l TD

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

Maybe we could have a sticky or something explaining this in the run-up to the jan 2012 changes? There's been a lot of confusing info about this and there must be a few London T25 owners receiving the letter and panicking.

I can write up a guide to how to apply if need be.
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

drliamski
80-90 Mem No: 6237

Post by drliamski »

That would be great. I have a sorn panel van with a side window in the sliding dooor, and am deciding what the best course of action is as I live in London

I can either get it reclassified as a mpv or motor caravan. Or put a 2.0 gti engine innit and try the lpg route!

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I drove the SA into the LEZ today without thinking :shock: came back and checked reg on the TFL site, it's not subject to the rules. Phew!
Hurrah for lpg 8)

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

It's a bloody PETROL!!!! You can drive anywhere without a care in the world :lol:

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Apart from the fuel gauge going due south at a rate of knots, yes! :mrgreen: