agg flywheel and clutch question

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

agg flywheel and clutch question

Post by axeman »

hi all
so i am not trying to re envent the wheel but i have a question to but out there, having completed a agg conversion on a 2wd westy and used the jx flywheel and clutch which was perfectly adequate for the job, i will be embarking on another agg conversion into a syncro and found my self questioning the flywheel and clutch set up (jx parts) as they were designed for around 70bhp.
so my question is would there be any advantage in using the single mass fly wheel and clutch set up from a tdi, i have both fly wheels (tdi from a 1998 ahu) in the garage and should weigh them both to compare the weight of them. then to use the tdi clutch and pressure plate and the t3 thrust bearing as per normal.
has any one got any thoughts?

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: agg flywheel and clutch question

Post by ajsimmo »

Talk to Poshbuggers.
He has been through this. I put his AGG in with JX flywheel and uprated clutch. He kept burning it out when off-road driving. He swapped it for TDI clutch/fw. Don't know how it's been since, I'm guessing no news is good news...?!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

Tha is for that it proves I am not alone in my thinking if nothing else.
Neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

No harm in using a heavier diesel flywheel, it makes gear changes more leisurely (engine takes a little longer to wind down when you dip the clutch) which will be kinder to the transmission.
What's the weights of the AGG flywheel vs the AHU?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

We've been using single mass conversions for tuned AAZ with good results. We have them in stock for workshop use but just letting the guinea pigs run a little longer before we list them.
Need to use a "TDI" input shaft and the flat cover plate and as with the DMF the starter nose also needs a "tickle".
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks