intrusive fuel pump noise

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

intrusive fuel pump noise

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

Depending on your preference for modded car sounds you may like me find the fuel pump noise on the external pump used in subaru conversions intrusive.

Ironically after fitting a "sporty" exhaust that i should find it intrusive but there you go...

Whilst working on a few modern ish luxury cars I have noticed a felt wrap material on the sump of my Mercedes and on the air con compressor of another car.

Obs mindful of what its pumping (petrol :shock: ) I'm looking at materials that could suppress fuel pump whine either by direct contact or boxing in the pump to a degree somehow ...

Just posting if anyone has the been there ...done that T shirt and can share any experience

Otherwise still chuffed with the conversion even if I can't sort that pesky engine check light..... which comes in on overrun and disappears at tickover..... its the air idle control valve circuit. And still too lazy to fit my new 2.1 tall gearbox

I will grant 3 wishes to whomsoever supplies any information leading to the arrest of the fault code light problem (yes - I'm re watching line of duty fella)

Thanks y all

Matt
Matt
Last edited by matt brighton on 29 Jul 2019, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: intrusive fuel pump noise

Post by slowcoach »

Mine stil makes the same sound it did when I had the 1.9 I injection wbxer. A buzzzzzz ;) same mount, same pump, as the 2.1 wbx. It's mounted on rubber mounts to isolate the buzz vibration into the chassis rail. Are they in tact? Mine are a bit of a cobble!
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The genuine bosch fuel pumps make a lighter buzz sound, the cheap copies are noisy compared to the original pumps fitted by vw.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks

Mine is on new rubber exhaust bobbins ....and its a new but yes a cheap copy e bay fuel pump...

If i do find something that works effectively I will put up a post

Otherwise its off to Cornwall (Polzeath) next month - with or without - preferably with - my taller gearbox fitted.

Best

Matt

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Jaguar used to mount the same Bosch fuel pump inside a foam donut, which was held by an "omega" bracket very simar to our coil mounting bracket.
Since the pump was inside the boot space, noise suppression was very important.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks for that SB :ok

If i find something that suppresses the noise I will post.

I don't mind - and quite like - the sound of the fuel pump to a degree ..... on my van it is a bit intrusive at times

All the best

Matt

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I couldn't stand the noise of the cheap one (which is correctly mounted on genuine bobbins) so I asked Brickie to get the correct genuine Bosch 2.1 pump in for me and he now stocks them, just a little whirr as it primes on ignition on and not noticeable there after, definitely worth the £
also you can do the wiring stock style 6.3mm spades with genuine VW rubber boots (though they are a bit silly money) that don't split in 12 months like the cheap ones do and thus have better protection from water ingress to the contacts, qite important given where it is mounted

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

I have a genuine bosch from brickies , still whines , is mounted on Bobbins .
Once engine is running we dont hear it, just forget about it lol.
Daz
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

Dazco wrote:I have a genuine bosch from brickies , still whines , is mounted on Bobbins .
Once engine is running we dont hear it, just forget about it lol.
Daz

have you changed the tank to a 2.1 one ? Only asking as your description says it was a 1.9 carb van

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

Okay, so resurrecting this one as the pump on my Subaru conversion is driving me to distraction! Wondering if anyone has found a 'solution' in the last 3 years or so has a recommendation for the least noisy pump?!

Mine seems to be getting worse. Not sure which one it is as it seems to be lagged but think it's a genuine Bosch (had it fitted about 3/4 years ago and can't remember).

Picture below to show the set up - any comments/advice on this welcome. Thanks.

1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

mariner wrote:Okay, so resurrecting this one as the pump on my Subaru conversion is driving me to distraction! Wondering if anyone has found a 'solution' in the last 3 years or so has a recommendation for the least noisy pump?!

Mine seems to be getting worse. Not sure which one it is as it seems to be lagged but think it's a genuine Bosch (had it fitted about 3/4 years ago and can't remember).

Picture below to show the set up - any comments/advice on this welcome. Thanks.

That plate that the pump is mounted to is not stock, but looks good. Is there rubber mountings there? With your ear to the pump, is that definitely it?

You could try unmounting the pump from the plate on your driveway, and see if the vibrations stop..
===================

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

genuine Bosch pumps are generally quiet enough, that mounting set up is interesting compared to the original set up. It doesn't look like the feed is 11mm bore pipe straight from the tank, where is the filter and which filter is fitted ? Show us the whole pipe work set up.

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

Thanks for the replies both. The filter is a mann filter, don't know if this picture helps at all. Think I may look at fitting a genuine bosch - I see Brickwerks have one.

1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

I'd do the testing as said above first (detach it from its mount and run it). The big metal filter should be after the pump, with the pump attached directly to the tank via the 11.5/12mm fuel hose.

New pump might sound exactly the same! They're expensive so best be sure ay
===================