TDi AFN w flipped Passat box; CV issues

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Palscan
80-90 Mem No: 16300

TDi AFN w flipped Passat box; CV issues

Post by Palscan »

Hi all,
Had a TDi AFN installed with Tim Shettle’s flipped Passat box adapter plate some time last year. I was told at the time that due to the flipped box the CVs run at an increased angle and the engine had been lowered slightly to compensate, new CVs were also installed. Since then I’ve been running stock springs/ shocks with no problems but recently installed a set of Fox shocks and GW springs. These were the standard height springs NOT the lift springs that they offer. The result did in fact increase the rear height ever so slightly, difficult to tell how much but maybe 10-15mm max. On the drive home I noticed a clicking/ knocking pretty much through most gears when under load, but no sound when clutch down or off the accelerator. Does this sound like the CVs binding? Not experienced it before so not sure what this sounds like. Has anyone experienced these issues and any advice on offer?
Many thanks,
89' Westy Club Joker, 1.9TDI AFN with Passat flipped gearbox

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: TDi AFN w flipped Passat box; CV issues

Post by toomanytoys »

Does indeed. Or it’s running over the wear ridge that’s developed from where it’s been running the last year. ...
Worth checking if the cv joints are “clocked” plenty of vids on YouTube”
What cv’s are used?? Are they are t3 ones or the Passat inners?
The 944 cv’s are slightly wider and allow more cv angle.