PD130 Swap????

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

naff_monk
80-90 Mem No: 0

PD130 Swap????

Post by naff_monk »

How do

TDI questions this time. I’ve done a bit of trawling so I'm starting to build a picture but hoping someone can provide some guidance.

Our PD130 (AWX) Passat got written off yesterday due to a shunt up the backside. The car was recently donated to us so I’m doing the thought experiment to see if it’s worth using it in my van rather than carry on with the current AGG plan. I know it’s not an easy fit but I’m struggling to get the full picture of the difference in real terms to the older tdi’s (afn etc).

From what I can tell, at least it will be:

Custom engine mounts and sump. Is a FAS kit from MV still the best option? Any alternatives?

Box. prob flip the Passat box, does anyone know what code would be best suited to our vans? Additionally, what’s the deal with the cable operated linkage? I’ve seen people using Porsche parts, this is the part I know the least about though. Alternatively I have a spare knackered 3h that could be rebuilt if that was appropriate but as far as I can tell the 300nm would be taking an expensive rebuilt box to it's limits.

Loom & electrics. Is anyone doing a loom service with these yet? I’m guessing I’d be looking for a strip down and immo delete/relocate to keep the original clocks?

Are the adaptors for the older TDI's going to work? ie ultimate engineering kits for gearbox, turbo, throttle pot (I'd rather keep the original pedal), MAF etc, etc. My JX exhaust is pretty battered so I'm planning a replacement in the near future in any case so have some room for creativity in this area, the quieter the better!!

Anything I've not thought of?

I'd probably try and find someone local to do the actual work for me as I'm pretty time poor these days but would like to know everything involved and be able to supply major parts if not do it myself when I'm between contracts. Can anyone share experience of the number of hours taken to do the swap? In either case I'm fully aware that this isn't going to be cheap and very possibly not worth the effort but I have a free engine and box, it feels like a sign!

Cheers
Laurence
1988 Leisuredrive high top rust bucket
1.9TD ABL (JX pump & turbo)
5 speed 3h

naff_monk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: PD130 Swap????

Post by naff_monk »

Oof, didn't get much love for that one did I!

I was already nervous I was biting off more than I could chew and that kind of confirms it. Scrappy it is then, that's a shame.
1988 Leisuredrive high top rust bucket
1.9TD ABL (JX pump & turbo)
5 speed 3h

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: PD130 Swap????

Post by silverbullet »

PD is a transmission wrecker unless you spend a lot of money. MV have come in for a lot of flak, not had any dealings myself.
Upside down transaxles are a hideous bodge and I have heard that they dont last, only that they are currently cheap.
Diesel is a lost cause in the long run imo.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk