1y engine change help please guys!!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jonnyoffcas79
80-90 Mem No: 0

1y engine change help please guys!!

Post by jonnyoffcas79 »

Hi guys fitted a 1y non turbo engine into my doka, my question is do I have to use the 1.6 d air inlet manifold on it as the original 1y inlet fouls the engine bay sides?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: 1y engine change help please guys!!

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... e&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am just playing with the 1Y inlet manifold, taking 5/6mm off the upper edge and grinding/filing back to the lower edge gives 1/2 an inch extra clearance between the bodywork in the engine bay and the manifold. The bolt holes wil need to be reamered at an angle and the washer seat slightly dressed to keep the bolt head square. It brings the exhaust recirculating flange on the manifold fairly close to the cam cover but should be OK. (Fingers crossed) Would have had it milled but my local guy has retired.

The first cut is the deepest.... nothing to lose!

Just about there:
Clearance between manifold and breather hat.

((The gain in clearance appears to be closer to 1 inch rather than the 1/2 inch that I envisaged! It lifts the manifold up and away from where it would foul the bodywork/chassis member. I hope that I have got it right for the swap over. :) )) - see update below!
Don't forget to check that the manifold bolts don't bottom out as you have decreased the thickness of the manifold. I have taken a couple of mm off mine to leave sufficient clearance at the bottom of the hole.

Update on this - haven't gained as much clearance as I had hoped for - I have had to 'adjust' the bodywork also to allow sufficient clearance!

All in and back on the road:

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

jonnyoffcas79
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jonnyoffcas79 »

Mate, thanks for the info, I’ve had a pig of a time with mine, I’ve had so many mechanics take my hard earned cash to give nothing in return! Aaz hand 700 quids worth or cylinder head which pizzed oil all over, ruined! So got me a golf with 1y low mileage, a new mechanic changed clutch ang gave full service and time belt, fitted engine and no wire connected water pipes oil pipes nothing connected then told me I had to sort it!! Five grand on body work and it’s now been sat for three years! I can’t even get a picture how it it goes, think I’ve begged before for someone with the same setup to park outside my garden for around 15 minuets so I can a peak at the engine and get mine sorted! Words can not describe mate!!

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Jonny

Whether you use the 1Y manifold or the CS version very much depends on what you want to achieve.

OBG and myself often have this little discussion.

I use the CS manifold and find it perfectly good. My priority has been to achieve the quietest engine, and I have done this by using the whole of the CS manifold, air filter box, inlet bellows and the snorkel that goes inside the rear pillar, to achieve an airtight and noise attenuated installation. By doing this I have theoretically lost a smidge of power at the very top of the rev range, due to the smaller ports, but to be honest I can't detect any shortness of breath at high revs, and the engine doesn't smoke at all, which it surely would do if it was short of air. I had a very small amount of bodywork to modify to get clearance due to the slightly taller bock of the 1.9 engine.

OBGs setup uses the larger ports of the 1Y manifold, so it won't lack air, but it will be MUCH noisier due to the unsilenced K&N(?) air filter.

So the choice is yours......... CS manifold for a quiet installation, 1Y manifold for (theoretically at least) absolute maximum power. If you can engineer a decent connection to the snorkel, then you can get the best of both worlds.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

My setup utilizes a snorkel up the rear :oops: also - just hasn't been added to the thread.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Hutch runs a 1Y knocker is his early Westy and does the odd conversion on the side in Hereford, may be able to comment?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk