AFN DMF..... fitting?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

AFN DMF..... fitting?

Post by spanishfly »

Hi
Is there anyone out there who's done an AFN conversion and fitted a Brickwerks TDi DMF who maybe able to help?

Following a very expensive rebuild my 3H with 4.14 FD box resumed its jumping out of 5th shenanigans after 3000 miles! This was as gutting as it was inexplicable given the gentle treatment it received but as the builder declined to help or accept any responsibility and being too far in to quit I've found another more widely publicised and passionate builder who is busy righting the wrongs and restoring my faith in human nature.

Having devoured all I can find with a view to protecting the box long term I bought a T3 TDi DMF from Brickwerks.

Having removed the old clutch and flywheel (only a year old) I've been trying to fit the DMF.

1/. It seemed the metal poo protector (JX) stuck out too far at the bottom so fitted a shorter one I had from a different engine.

2/. Tightened down the 6 bolts but unable to tighten enough to stop the DMF from wobbling about!

3/. Am I missing a spacer? Are the kit bolts (LUK) too long?

4/. Have I somehow got the wrong clutch kit? Saw tooth look.

Cheers
1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel

volks_womble
80-90 Mem No: 13821

Re: AFN DMF..... fitting?

Post by volks_womble »

I have just fired the Brickwerks supplied DMF to my AFN conversion with a rebuilt 3H box... I haven’t got it running yet, however, to answer your questions;

The "pooh" from the jx does not fit. I used the Brickwerks stainless steel one with is cut from flat sheet.

The DMF, clutch and cover plate were supplied already assembled and centred. When bolted up the end of the crank it pulled up nicely with no movement. I didn’t use any spacers from the jx or the donor. I did have to clearence the inside of the bellhousing though.

The bolts in my kit were captive, and seemed fine to me.
1989 1.9TDI (AFN) California
1990 2.1MV Syncro Atlantic

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Re: AFN DMF..... fitting?

Post by jebiga41 »

sounds like your jx pooh protector maybe stopping it ??
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie