gearbox removal with engine in situ ?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

gearbox removal with engine in situ ?

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

I have the Subaru engine installed with the RJES bell housing. Picked up my "new" DK box yesterday.

Is it possible to remove /replace the gearbox with engine in situ .....or will I have to take the whole thing out ?

Thanks

matt

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: gearbox removal with engine in situ ?

Post by silverbullet »

Yes. Best to suspend the engine with a crane or beam, unbolt your engine cradle from the body to allow some articulation, probably drop it a little to get the two plugged together.
You'll have to remove the bellhousing from the engine and bolt that to the gearbox first, of course :D

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the rjes mount doesn't allow you to tip the box down at the front hence you need to hold the engine with crane or the like; with the smallcar or lmbtechnik mount the job is as easy as pulling the box on a wbx
the bellhousing is a tight fit on the engine some prying will be necessary, there are a couple of lugs on the bellhousing (used for the machining of the casting) that are ideal for getting leverage on each side to get it off the dowels

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Ive just done this, if you have a early short gearbox with the RJES gearbox extension mount the gearbox can be removed without disturbing the engine. All I did was put a block of wood under the sump to stop the engine tipping back. The rjes gearbox extension mount is a loose fit on the 3 studs so when un bolted it will tilt down . Remove the 4 bolts from the rubber mount and the earth strap from the body crossmember then the brackets still joined together can be removed. There is just enough room to move the gearbox forward which can then be lowered down. I pulled the gearbox off the engine with a woodworking clamp and a bracket bolted on to the nose studs, I found trying to prise the gearbox off just pushed the engine back on the mounts. I didn't bother jacking the van up and removed the RJES bellhousing from the gearbox after lowering it, the gearbox without the bellhousing just fits between the engine mount and trailing arm. I managed to do the job on a lowered van with full body kit but I am of slim build !
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Post by matt brighton »

multisi wrote:Ive just done this, if you have a early short gearbox with the RJES gearbox extension mount the gearbox can be removed without disturbing the engine. All I did was put a block of wood under the sump to stop the engine tipping back. The rjes gearbox extension mount is a loose fit on the 3 studs so when un bolted it will tilt down . Remove the 4 bolts from the rubber mount and the earth strap from the body crossmember then the brackets still joined together can be removed. There is just enough room to move the gearbox forward which can then be lowered down. I pulled the gearbox off the engine with a woodworking clamp and a bracket bolted on to the nose studs, I found trying to prise the gearbox off just pushed the engine back on the mounts. I didn't bother jacking the van up and removed the RJES bellhousing from the gearbox after lowering it, the gearbox without the bellhousing just fits between the engine mount and trailing arm. I managed to do the job on a lowered van with full body kit but I am of slim build !

Thanks

Now I have sorted the exhaust - putting the DK box on is further up the to do list :ok