Best Engine to Meet Euro 4 or 6 Emissions? ULEZ issue

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Best Engine to Meet Euro 4 or 6 Emissions? ULEZ issue

Post by Aidan »

but that's only euro 3, it will take a lot more than an add on cat to make anything euro5 or 6 that wasn't designed to be, lets face it given what VW did with the test cheating most of their euro 5 and some of the euro 6 cars weren't really
we just need to use the infrastructure we have and all go back to the bicycle for personal transport, electric for the urban goods transport, rail and water transport for the distance stuff and make the kids walk to school :rofl

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Obviously banning all IC engines for offroad leisure use vehicles needs adding to that list as well.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

i think... that the euro 3 is for the cat. the DPF makes its compliant. He sells another that is already euro 3 (already has cat fitted) for a cheaper price.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

DSM
80-90 Mem No: 1274

Post by DSM »

The AGU/AEB 20v 1.8T engines are Euro 4 but I don't think that helps.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Bosch have being doing some development work on emission control packages under the brand Denoxtronic, which they've tested as an addon to an existing PD diesel engine, and which they claim gave emissions that were significantly better than Euro 6.

I wrote to them to get some more info about whether it might ever be available to purchase as a retrofit and they responded that they had no plans in that respect.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Predictable response from Bosch. They always have been big on the manufacturer/licensed technology aspect.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

I am in the same boat however I understand that you only get charged if you pass one of the cameras. So parked up outside your house is fine. As a daily driver it would be expensive but as the occasional holiday or weekend camper it is doable.
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Just trailer it past the camera! :run
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

Westy End wrote:I am in the same boat however I understand that you only get charged if you pass one of the cameras. So parked up outside your house is fine. As a daily driver it would be expensive but as the occasional holiday or weekend camper it is doable.

You understand correctly - the ULEZ charge only gets levied on non-compliant vehicles on the days that they drive inside the charging zone. If a non-compliant vehicle is parked up for the whole day in the charging zone then no charge is levied for that day, and I've had this confirmed in writing by the TfL ULEZ team.

There's more discussion in another recent thread here:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168471

Since we only use our camper for trips, we're just going to carry on unchanged when we get caught in the ULEZ expansion, and just wait until our van reaches the 40 year mark at which point it can be registered as a classic vehicle and becomes exempt.

:ok

dunxd
80-90 Mem No: 17013

Post by dunxd »

If it is possible to register my 1985 Westfalia for automatic ULEZ payment, I'll do so to avoid fines and easily see how much it is costing per year.

I had hoped that TfL would have a discount scheme for the expanded zone of similar duration to the central zone. Unfortunately they have announced otherwise so we'll have to pay till our vehicles are classed as historic.

If your T25 is a daily driver you probably want to change it for the sake of all our lungs, and if used occasionally keep that usage as infrequent as possible.
--
Dunx
1985 T25 Westfalia Club Joker

clift_d

Best Engine to Meet Euro 4 or 6 Emissions? ULEZ issue

Post by clift_d »

Thanks for linking to that clarification.

We’ll probably just manually keep track of the days we get charged - I’m not sure I want to pay £10 a year for the privilege of being on their auto-pay system.

Arvi
80-90 Mem No: 2472

Post by Arvi »

just seen this post

I have just checked my van 1990 2.1dj caravelle auto

it appears to be exempt from both ULEZ and LEZ and reading the rules would appear to be covered under the LEZ extension as it is already ULEZ compliant

is this a "cock" up with their system as the van has no cat fitted
Now running and fixing
1990 VW Caravelle GL 2.1 auto

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

Almost inevitably some kind of glitch or cockup.

You will have probably have exemption from the LEZ, but I’m afraid it’s pretty certain that your vehicle is liable for the ULEZ.

fh9977
80-90 Mem No: 17112

Post by fh9977 »

Hi folks,
any new ideas re. retrofitting diesel T25s for ULEZ?
It seems ULEZ expanding into Hertfordshire now, this is such a money maker for cash strapped councils that it may get expanded even further.

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

The most active forum thread on this issue at the moment is this one: viewtopic.php?t=177711

The consensus view in that appears to be that, with the exception of electric conversions, changing the engine will not allow a T25 to meet ULEZ requirements. TfL have stated that they only base their assessment for compliance on the emissions of the vehicle type as originally manufactured, which for a T25 would be Euro 0.

There are a few owners who are investigating whether they can use an IVA to re-certify their vehicles with an engine conversion, but that is not something that appears to be supported currently by the ULEZ guidance. The best thing to do would be to get a 'birth certificate' from VW to confirm which year your van came off the production line, and then stick it out until it becomes exempt as a historical vehicle at 40 years.