Subaru exhaust.. trial fit

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

Subaru exhaust.. trial fit

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

Prices of a bespoke proper system are staggering .

I initially fitted a gsxr 1100 can with lambada to "get me going" - and I'm pleased with how it looks and sounds - well...maybe a bit on the noisy side under load -

I'm now going to see how a ford focus ST exhaust works -

It'll have the "requisite" (for me anyway) twin pipes at the rear - I will let you know how it fits/sounds

it may be an affordable alternative

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Re: Subaru exhaust.. trial fit

Post by mshaw1980 »

Yeah let us know how it goes Matt. The exhaust I knocked up in 1.5 inch pipe with standard silencer is pretty restrictive although it sounds ok.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Will do,

I have alot on at the moment, so it may be a while till i get around to fitting but i will post how I get on -

The twin pipes look good.... but its just seeing how the box can fit .... I will try to bracket it off the engine block rather then hang it off the body so theres no stress of flex

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I'll try find a photo of the bracket I have to hang the silencer from the engine..
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

"champion" :ok

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Sorry Matt, not had any daylight access to it since, I'll try get one tomorrow. Its 2 brackets hanging down either side of the crank pulley, using threaded holes that are in the block already, for a power steering pump and aircon pump (neither of which I have). They hold a cradle to take the weight of the silencer.
===================

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Thanks

Photo would be good - I might use the redundant mounting holes for the diesel cradle ... be useful to see yours tho as I think engine mounted reduces stress

I picked up the 2017 RS Focus S Steel exhaust yesterday , - the chrome twin exit pipes are massive !!!!

Fits between the engine and rear valence well

Its also got an actuator valve effectively a butterfly that shuts off flow through one of the pipes - opens on a servo in "sport/track" mode

I might rig up a cable as i know when I want it to be loud/quiet

Have ordered a reducer pipe as needs to go from RS Focus 70mm bore :shock: to the subaru 55mm manifold pipe bore.

Bought a DK box - yet to be picked up and fitted but hopefully more relaxed at 60/70ish ... it was a bit revvy at over 90mph yesterday .... about 5000 rpm if I recall ,

Don't plan to be in that territory often... or for sustained periods but nice to know.
Last edited by matt brighton on 08 Feb 2019, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Blimey cool. I've seen One of those close/open valves on an exhaust, I had no idea about them. But 90mph.. wew! Bet that was hairy. Road and wind noise in these things doesn't make for a relaxing ride. I have an 8E gearbox. Can't remember where That stands in the ranks but it's good to remember revs aren't necessarily a bad thing and don't always equate to fuel consumption. Be nice to lower the noise at motorway speeds though I'd think. My mind imagines crank shafts and pistons spinning wildly at 5/6k and I always back off. Red line cutoff is 8 I think- never got close!
===================

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

8E is according to RJES website colour coded table at the taller - but not quite tallest bracket

http://rjes.com/html/gearbox_types.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By tallest I mean will be lower revving at motorway speeds

My DK ....yet to be picked up and fitted, is I think ....in the tallest geared bracket but not featured in the chart ....

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

Her are some pics. It was setup as a temp thing, but it's held fine. Hope they help ;-)

ImageImageImageImage
===================

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

very useful - thanks :ok

Wilkeasy
80-90 Mem No: 17141

Post by Wilkeasy »

How did the rs exhaust sound like, asking as I have one siting in my shed. And does the flap make much difference when it's closed