Anyone fitted a clutch servo?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wilber
80-90 Mem No: 6051

Anyone fitted a clutch servo?

Post by Wilber »

So I realise that the standard clutch on these vans is no way heavy to work but I have an extremely modified double cab pickup with an AP racing clutch and need to make it easier to use.

I was thinking of trying to integrate a servo assist unit for the clutch system to make the clutch pedal feel lighter and therefore easier to drive in heavy traffic.

Before anyone suggests, I have no option but to use the racing clutch as this sits in-between a mid mounted 4.6 V8 and a Renault 5 turbo gearbox.

My thoughts were to use one of these but could be an issue with space behind the dash:

http://www.redbooster.com

Feedback welcome.

Thanks, Will.
1983 Westfalia PopTop 2.1 DJ
1986 Sika 2.1 DJ
1989 Doka 4.6 V8
1989 Sika 2.0 ADY

1986 T25 Trailer

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Re: Anyone fitted a clutch servo?

Post by ash1293 »

You probably won’t get many answers here to the question. As you are running a non standard engine on a non standard gearbox your setup will only really have the pedal and master cylinder in common.

I recall some TVR guys were fitting remote MGB servos to the clutch circuit - that might be a starting point for you to explore as will give you more options of mounting location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Anyone fitted a clutch servo?

Post by silverbullet »

A remote servo can go anywhere, provided you can get the hydraulic lines and a vacuum hose to it. Bleeding it might be another matter...
I did a google and had a read up (my project has a Renault UN1 and a custom HD clutch)
As I read it, if the servo cylinder has the same bore size as the van's master cyl, you won't get into stroke multiplication problems at the slave cyl/clutch fork end i.e. you'll only get the vacuum assistance to lighten the pedal.
If the servo cyl is slightly smaller than the master cyl, it will give more stroke to help disengage the clutch if needed, at the cost of some assistance.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk